Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jumping

Guest Really

I am a PGCE student in Reception. I am trying to think of activities that will encourage the children to use jumping skills. I introduced it last week and we played a game which involved the children doing different jumps- kangaroo, bunny, frog and mouse.

How can I take it forward now?

Thanks - (been up since 7 this morning planning for next week!!)

Hi

not thought about this one like this before.

if you are working in Reception you almost certainly need lots of repetition so recall & repeat.

I always get my children to think about how they are landing---knees bent, on toes or full foot. Makes a difference to how you jump! Then look at differences between jumping on the spot or moving around the room. Then we jump to travel ie leaping. Some children find it easy to run and jump others don't, so encourage and demonstrate & get children to demonstrate to one another. You may need objects to jump over to encourage movement through the air. Make a river with 2 skipping ropes, children usually enjoy just running and jumping over the gap!

just a word of warning which is very easy to lose sight of, little children may not know what you are talking about- do they know what a kangaroo is, have they seen one jumping? What about a mouse?

I was playing a game with hoops with my class this week, to encourage spacing & talked about islands and sea & shipwrecks as a stopping command. Later in the week we went to the park and at the pond I discovered noone knew what an island was!

Have fun

Susan

How about stringing a washing line across an area, and hanging balloons from it, at a height where the children have to jump to reach them? You could hang them at different heights and number the balloons to introduce Maths-type language, and also intersperse them with jingle bells and other sound-making resources.

A good way of getting children to jump is by using rhymes and getting them to do the actions.... 5 little specked frogs.... get the children to be the frogs that jump i the pond.... 10 fat sausages.... get the children to jump as the sausages pop.

Sleeping bunnies is one my reception class love and the get to move in a variety of ways.... jumping...hopping and dancing.... as a school we have it on cd and the children always ask if we can have it on.

Hope that you are enjoying your placement and good luck

xD:):o

ooh1

I've not played that for along time! Had even forgotten all about it.

Which CD do you have, could be a good resource if its got lots of pther games like that on.

I've also been looking for a source of Ring Games, when I worked in Nursery we used to play so many, and now I can't remember them! Any ideas?

Susan

In our outside time in nursery we have played follow my leader jumping into a hoop path or onto spots and trying to catch the person in front. We model 2 footed jumps and talk about swinging arms to help make big jumps ( from standing position).

I too would be interested in any information on rings games as I haven't had the knowledge to forget(!) and it's something I know I need to be doing. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)