Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Food Hygiene Regulations

With another of my hats on I found out that new food hygiene regulations came into force on 1.1.06. Knowing this was likely to have implications for our youth group which has a tuck shop as well as other food served in our church I looked on the Food Standard Agency website which was very helpful and informative. They recommended if I wasn't sure what to do then ring our local environmental health department for advice, which I duly did.

Apparently not only do the church have to register with the Environmental Health Dept but so does our sessional pre-school as our parents pay for a service which also provides food, albeit a snack. We have to fill in a detailed registration form and then be inspected, every 18 months, as our children are clearly in a vulnerable age group.

Despite 11 years in the job and taking a keen and active interest in all the responsibilities placed on us, taking the job seriously, I did not know any of this and am quite shocked that no one, not PLA or EYDCP has ever told me about this either.

Am I alone? I have no objection to registration and inspection and think its right as part of providing a service/setting of the highest possible quality and being accountable.

DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS???????

This is news to us!

We run from a church hall, which has its kitchen inspected by the environmental health, but we assumed that we were covered by the church's inspection. Thanks for the info.

Guest MaryEMac

Our playgroup has been inspected twice by the environmental health office in the last 5 years. I think that we should soon be due another. The last time they had a good look around, asked loads of questions and said that as we only served biscuits and drink that they would come back in 3 years. Now we don't provide a snack as each child brings in their own fruit in a box and we store in a fridge and then hand out at snack time. They did suggest that we could if we wanted to, take a food handling course but it wasn't compulsory.

Mary

Thanks for posting this topic. I believe we were inspected when we moved to new premises 12 years ago but to my knowledge have not been inspected since. Better make some enquiries! We serve snacks, children provide their own lunch. We advice parents to put a freezer pack in their lunch boxes (not many do).

Deb

LJW, I am in a scout hall and environmental health inspect the kitchen for the scouts, although we ask advice when they visit.

What is the new legislation as of 01.01.06?

We are not registered with Environmental health as a seperate organisation, should we be? I have asked this previously when EH officers have been in and told I don't need to because of the same reasons others have mentioned.( maybe I should get this in writing though) I do recall sending a form to Environment health about a year ago stating that we don't come under their criteria as a catering establishment but heard nothing more from them) Do I now need to recheck this because of the new legislation?

Sorry being a bit lazy and can't face the task of looking up the Food Standard website or ringing Environmental health. ( although I will put it on my "To do" list,) just needed to know a bit more detail of what the the new legislation is and whether It could be relevant to my setting.

Thanks.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

This has been a worry of us for some time. I have emailed the Environmental Health but have not had a repy - will post it when I receive it.

Sue

Thanks for all your info on observations - it has given my setting lots to think about

Advice is to ring your local environmental health department at the district council. They will ask you about your set up and then tell you if you need to register. Registrations of Nurseries etc would need to be independent of the buildings owners (in my case the church) as you are providing a service on a regular basis and pay rent, therefore you are independent of the owner. Once you have filled in and returned your registration form and Env. Health then assess your level of risk. I was told all pre-schools/nurseries need to register as the children are receiving drinks and snacks and as these children are in a vulnerable age bracket such settings would need to be inspected every 18 months or so. If there are no meals prepared (excludes baking activities I think) you would need to provide evidence that you regularly inspect your foodstuffs to see they are in date and haven't been nibbled by rodents. They would look to see what your preparation area is like (chipped laminate etc) and make any recommendations for improvement in writing. I think they also look at the general level of cleanliness etc. but please don't take my word for this in case I haven't quite got this all right - Please ring yourself - better be safe than sorry!

I had a inspection 2 years ago by health and safety who said that now they had to inspect pre-school for ofsted as a normal procedure. i have a letter saying we passed, but have not found another group in my area that has had one. this inspection was done on the basis of how safe was the building and kitchen from a child's point of view, because the hall has one done each year.. don't know but would think i'm due for one again soon.

I am reading all these with interest. I don't know if this type of inspection is required because of the service aspect but it made me think as we are looking at providing a care sesssion in the afternoons. I work in a school, in a room that was 'converted into a Foundation Stage unit. It has toilets off the main room with appropriate handbasins and a sink in the corner of the main room. There is a small wet area in front of that sink that is not big enough for a water tray!!!! I warned the head that the carpet would be ruined and she has been fine about that. My concern is that if we do any food/snacks the only sink available is that one-where we wash everything else, or an adult has to leave and go to the far side of the building leaving only 1 adult behind. So we try to do things in advance or have a parent helper in. I am just so amazed that this was allowed by the local E.Y. D P. Also recently someone came in to look at the room to see if it was adequate to provide a care session in the afternoon and she said that you only need a kitchen area if you have under 3's. This is all a bit new to me. I have worked in a lot of nurseries in the area and they all had small kitchen facilities that were so useful. I do find it very resrictive not having one. My head is very supportive in most things but I think she thinks I am being over fussy suggesting a small kitchen area would be desirable. The lady that came to see if our premises were suitable for a care session, also said that if any 3 year olds were to stay over lunch that they could eat with all the other children in the Key stage 2 room. Maybe the need for such hygiene stops once children are 3, I don't know. I would value everyone's opinions as maybe I am worrrying needlessly.

Thankyou for the initial post as it has spurred me on to post this

Lynda

From 'Lincolnshire Food Matters': [a general publication, not specifc to early Years]

1. Someone must take the responsibility to implement the Food Safety Management System

2. The System must be written down and explain how food is handled in the kitchen to keep it safe to eat.

3. All critical food safety steps and food hazards must be identified

4. Controls must be implemented at these critical steps to ensure food remains safe to eat.

These controls must be monitored to ensure they are working proerly

6. Keep some records to show the results of such monitoring e.g. temperature checks, check of date codes, food delivery checks.

They say the FSA has produced a pack called 'Safer Food Better Business' which can be ordered free of charge from FSA Publications on 0845 606 0667 or fax 0208867 3225 or email on foodstandards@eclogistics.co.uk

Hope that helps - I'm off to email for mine!

I placed an order yesterday and received a fantastic " Safer food, Better business" folder today. They also included two leaflets (A5 size) which I am ordering 50 of each to give out to parents.

order by,

email: foodstandards@ecgroup.uk.com

Tel: 0845 606 0667

fax: 020 8867 3225

Safer Food, better business - FSA/0993/0905

Feeding your Toddler - FSA/0455/0105

Feeding your Growing Child - FSA/0456/0105 This has a good guide for what to put in lunch boxes.

Peggy