Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Food Past Sell-by Date

This is a problem I've not encountered before. We're open for full daycare, and the arrangement is that children bring in packed lunches. We give guidance on what might be suitable, safe storage etc.

Today a new child had a 'Heinz Mum's Own' casserole which we were asked to microwave at lunch time as per the instructions on the packing. When we came to do so, we noticed that it was out of date in September. At that point I made a telephone call to see if Mum was happy for me to give it to the child as I didn't want the responsiblity, frankly, and I don't yet know them very well. Mum telephoned back saying it would be fine.

Do you think I now need to add this sort of incident into my policies somehow? I think instructing staff to check the use before dates when handed such things would be a good idea,too, so that it could be discussed before parents left if necessary.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Any thoughts appreciated.

hi,

we had this problem before, although not out of date food but last nights left over tea to re-heat with no real times for cooking. as we couldnt contact mum, we did give this to the child so he didnt go without lunch. on return, asked mum if she could only bring packed lunches in future.

we said that it would be unfair on the other children if one child was allowed hot lunches while they had pack up, (plus the microwave has now gone walkabout - in a village hall)

we would not be able to heat up 16 lunches every day, so we say we dont do it.

we do offer children a hot lunch once a month, cooked by us, if they want one.

as for the out of date food, if we notice out of date food, we would not allow the children to eat it. i know thats a bit harsh, but we would be concerned of our position if the child became ill after eating it whilst in our care. although im sure schools dont check their lunches.

That's interesting, Ruthie.

I made sure that a colleague was nearby when I was didscussing it on the phone with the mother, just to cover myself really.

As it happened, the child refused to eat it anyway. [Having smelt it, I can't say it seems very appetising!] I think we'll just show mum how little was eaten and take it from there.

We don't have many staying for lunch, so microwaving in itself shouldn't be a problem. The use by date was the main issue. It caught me on the hop a bit!

Hi Weightman,

Do all your staff who "cook" the lunches which are bought in have a "basic food hygiene certificate", has the kitchen been checked by environmental health as suitable for providing cooked foods? We so have to cover our backs these days, and of course do everything in our power to ensure children don't come to any harm. Which is why you posed the question.

I have a parent who requested that we heat her childs lunch, she knows we have a microwave ( used for playdough cooking). I said no as we were not registered as a catering establishment with environmental health, she brings her childs food in a thermos flask and this is a win win situation for all. :D

As for out of date food, I know these are only recommendations and most of us eat food that has gone past sell/use by date for a few days, but months I think is really risky. :o I would have given the child cereal or toast from my snack bar, or offered to go and get the child a replacement lunch and have the parent reimburse me.

Peggy

I echo what you say about the food hygiene certificates Peggy and think once we start cooking for the children it extends the remit of OFSTED inspections.

OFSTED were interested to know if we used the kitchen to prepare any food for the children. If the answer had been yes then it would have been subjected to further inspection by environmental health. I understood it to be the type of inspection that any premises serving food has to undergo.

At a risk of sounding paranoid where would we stand on the reheating of food when a child became ill (not necessarily connected) - the risk of parents blaming the diarrhoea/sickness on practitioners for not doing it properly?? Nothing would surprise me! :o

Our children all bring packed lunches. If anything looks 'iffy' I do not give it to them but keep and show the parents at hometime with an explanation.

Thanks for all your 'food' for thought! We're OK from the Environmental Health angle - we had a thorough grilling less than a year ago & it involved food preparation etc. And the FHC too.

It was the risk of illness that most concerned me. As I said, she refused to eat it anyway. When she was collected we had a sensible discussion, including an apology for putting us in that situation, which led to me having a much better idea about what her requirements were re: the care of her child, so at least something positive came out of it. She won't be bringing another one! And I think we will be taking a tougher line in future.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)