Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re!

Help!

I am worried that i am not covering enough RE in reception class - we are a church of england school - where can i find the syllabus guidelines!

Thanks!

Sara

If you are not a church school you can use the (optional) National curriculum stuff. If you are, your local diocese will have published guidelines for you and someone should have given them to you. Whatever type of school it is you should have a syllabus and an RE coordinator who should be able to help you. In foundaion stage it is not suggested that we teach 'RE', but rather teach about cultures and religions in KUW and tolerance for others and their beleifs through PSE. In practice the easiest way to do this seems to be by celebrating festivals. We do two each winter on a rotating basis - Christmas and Chinese New Year this year. Last year it was Eid and Chinese new year. We try to reflect the beliefs of children in the nursery (we are an inner city school). Books, play food, clothes, videos and posters all help.

Don't panic! :D

RE in non church settings is determinded by the LEA and SACRE. They should have an agreed syllabus.I too would imagine as a church school the diocese should have guidance. Do you have a primary RE advisor or diocese representive?

If you want to take a look at Schemes of work you could visit www.cist.org.uk which is Primary Vision a scheme of work developed for Stockport by Christians in schools trust several years ago. It is in the process of being updated in line with Stockport's own newly agreed syllabus. (there is some stuff for reception on there)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)