Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Read

Could someone please give me some tips on how to do a successful guided read with groups of up to 7 Reception children. I would like pointers and hints to share with my TAs as well. Feeling a bit confused it`s been along time since I taught Reception .Thanks

Ive only ever managed 6, as books tend to be in sets of 6 and its very difficult for them to share so my first tip would be to have smaller groups!! 3 and 4 would work well if you must have a group of 7.

In my experience all children enjoy guided reading but do thnk of it as teaching skills for reading and dont forget the walk through!

Rigby Star are an excellent resource with teachers guides is you can get some new books!

I only ever have 6 children max as that is what is in the sets of book swe use. We use Lighthouse books, which een give you a scrit, follow up activitiies, learnign objectives, and are graded (we have them from reception to Year 2).

I have just started guided reading with the more 'bookwise' reception group (I only have 13 children in reception, 16 in Y1), and it is lots of talking about pictures and the book as a whole, focussing on the titleand the cover and predictions about the book. It is not true guided reading when we start, as I find that the children need lots of modelling from each other (i.e. all pointing as they 'read') which we all do together rather than completely independently.

Marie

I do the introduction part as a group ie. talk about what's happening in the pictures, make predictions etc. I also identify any teaching points in text such as tricky words which we all find before we start reading. then I send group off to do related activity while I hear one at a time read as I found it too difficult to monitor when all reading at own pace. Found this works really well for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)