Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Class Assembly

Have just been given the date for FIRST Rec cass assembly beginning of Feb. Our topic is Food and we will be looking at Chinese New Year and culture and food, so thought this might be a colourful assembly.

Had thought about Greeting in Chinese, how the years got their names (story with children acting out in masks), a dragon dance and some explanation of some of the simpler cultural practices and some Chinese foods. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful. I work in a Catholic school and assemblies ALWAYS have some link to Christianity ..... so ideas here would be VALUABLE.

Hope you can help,

Harricroft

Can't help with the link to Christianity, I'm afraid, but you can download a Chinese New Year song for freehere

- you can have the instrumental version or the complete song as well as the sheet music :D

I was thinking as it is February, near pancake day and lent and all that you could develop the food link being important for Celebrations and maybe act out a story. With reception I've often read a story with some of the children dressed up and acting it out...... so it could be the Chinese new year story or a pancake story such as the 'Big pancake' which would be fun to act out ! maybe a bit of a tenuous link to Christianity, but it is not my speciality !

Good luck with the assembly... enjoy it and make it fun and visual and you won't go far wrong !

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the speedy replies ASPK and Galleon. The song on the link sounds great - I'll download that later. We will mention how food has an important part to play in all celebrations so that could provide a link .... any other ideas gratefully received.

Harricroft

There is a great book called 'CleverSticks' about a little Chinese boy who goes to school but feels he cant do anything when his friends around him seem to be a ble to tie laces, paint pictures, skip, write their name etc. etc. until one day by accident something drops on the floor (or similar) and he uses the chopsticks to pick it up. Everyone is amazed and from then on he is able to show everyone how to use them and in return his class mates show hime how they do things. It would make a lovely assembly

If you use the lovely Cleversticks story you could link in with how God made each one of us different and able to do different things but that we are all special and God loves us all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)