Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wise Words/reassurance/correction Needed!

A long and complicated one! Here goes!

I am a big fan of the argument/rationale for teaching synthetic phonics. We do lots of work on this in whole class sessions: learning letter sounds, which sound can you hear at the start of these words, let's read this word by saying the sounds we can see...etc. However, as a token gesture, the children are given the Reception NLS high frequency words to learn at home. I personally have a problem with these words as they are not phonetic and 'go against' what we do in class but that's just a personal thing.

Historically, my school used to be very big on high frequency words and children were drilled in these using the 'look - say' method, but, as I've outlined above, I really don't like this.

My problem is that I have got some parents who have older children who were taught using the 'look - say' method and are concerned because their current Reception children don't, to them, seem to be making such rapid progress.

I'm feeling worried because I wonder if I'm way off beam and am maybe not teaching phonics/reading properly. Additionally, the books we have in school are largely the old Ginn ones which favour the 'look - say' approach so the children can't really use their phonic skills to help them. I am currently nagging/looking winsome to try and get some cash to spend on phonic based reading schemes xD but there's no guarantee that either of these ploys will work!

Whereabouts are your children? I have two of mine that are off and 'really' reading although that's not really anything to do with me :o. About half of mine can sound out CVC words with support and the rest of them are at various differing degrees below that. Am I rubbish? Be gentle with your answers!

With their writing they are better. Lots of them understand that you use letters to show the sounds you can hear and are able to construct CVC words using magnetic letters. They are also able to have a good stab at writing down more complicated words, recording the sounds they can hear.

In my mind I know they could be 'better' if I devoted all my time to teaching reading and writing but that's not going to lead to them having a good 'all round' background of skills, knowledge and experience is it?

I'm stopping now as I sense I'm starting to ramble but I nervously await your replies!

Moose

I think you are truly trying to be analytical and brave to take on board lots of evidence that makes you question things. Just because there's a 'current trend doesn't mean it's all true.

I believe very strongly that synthetic phonics is crucial, but I don't think it should be the be all and end all. Many children- but not all - have a strong visual memory. Our language is complicated and we need to equp the children to cope with

the small important words that are not phonically correct. I think a balanced approach is best because it covers different learning styles. Too many phonic books may make children use that strategy too much or give the parents the impression that is the be all and end all. I have seen children who have got very frustrated with this because they get no sense of flow or meaning, as they build up words even though they know them. I do give sight vocabulary but only a limited amount as a base, but I teach the phonics very strongly alongside and also show how it is used as a stategy to use - not slavishly follow- I think early on -rereading known texts-lot of rhymes and fun language that is natural, teaches hi gh frequency words and the child feels successful because they can do it again and again. This provides a frame work for the children to try out skills and begin to move into more adventurous texts. I have moved positions with my approach to reading over the years and trust my gut feelings now

and like you it was because I questioned what I was doing and allowed the parents and children to teach me. Children used to learn to read with the bible!The arguments going on in the press make it seem as if parents have no influence on the way the children read and only schools teach reading but this isn't so as we know and what do you do as a parent with your young child as you go out and about- well some parents- You talk to them about what things say.My son remembered Co-op -he recognised it on a newspaper advert at the age of 2 -and it wasn't through phonics!

So do keep on with your phonics but think about how a small base of sight vocabulary may benefit some children and do keep questioning and looking at what you do. I think the children are lucky to have you.

Regards Lynda

My concern is that not all children will (or can) learn to read by phonics and feel its important to teach a variety of strategies to help children read. We use Jolly Phonics and have done for more than 10 years. Long before they became fashionable :o But as the mother of a son who NEVER EVER grasped or used phonics but had a reading age 5 years above his chronolgical age when he left primary school I realise that Jolly Phonics isnt the only way and feel we are doing children a diservice by limiting their options and skills

Guest tinkerbell

I do agree with Marion.

Have taught using a phonic base to reading and showed the children other strategies when they are needed, this has been different for each class i have taught.Have a yr1 boy at the moment (taught him last year in R) and he still doesnt know all his lettersounds yet he has had the same imput and extra, but he is still not ready...he loves to sing and knows all the words to pop songs and hymes, loves digging in the veggie patch and can sit chopping vegetables for soup ALL morning!I do worry at times that he isnt up with the rest of yr1 with his reading and writing and there are Reception children in the class who are streets ahead but this is life and everyone is different with different strengths etc

have just bought Reading Rods to try him with something physical so all the time trying to help him.

The fact that you are concerned shows you are a dedicated teacher and please dont accept any negative criticism if its posted.I think the majority of us are working for the children but they are all individuals and mature and can take on learning at different times ..we have to work around this.

Hope I havent rambled too much

Tinkerbell

PS my eldest son didnt read until 10 when we started buying him a weekly fishing magazine!

Whereabouts are your children? I have two of mine that are off and 'really' reading although that's not really anything to do with me  :o.  About half of mine can sound out CVC words with support and the rest of them are at various differing degrees below that. Am I rubbish? Be gentle with your answers!

With their writing they are better. Lots of them understand that you use letters to show the sounds you can hear and are able to construct CVC words using magnetic letters. They are also able to have a good stab at writing down more complicated words, recording the sounds they can hear.

45664[/snapback]

Don't worry Moose!

This sounds about right to me :D I think its easier for the children to use their sounds to write because they know what they are trying to say.

I do send high frequency words home (but I stress it is only for reading, NOT spelling!) and many of the children are developing a good sight vocabulary. The majority of the class can decode CVC words but I wouldn't say I have any "readers" yet, though a handful are close.

Hi moose, I would tend to agree with all the responses. I am supply teaching at the moment so can not comment on class attainment but I have rarely had readers at this stage!

I understand your concerns re the phonic debate and would certainly advocate a synthetic phonics approach but I too think that a sight vocab is helpful. You can play lots of games to encourage children to "learn" these and many of the reception keywords can be taught with reference to phonic skills/ knowledge which was the approach I used.

I too know from personal experience that not all of us take to phonics easily and while I know that the phonic advocates would deride sight vocab, I do think we need to offer children a range a methods. To plug the phonics at the detriment of a sight vocab, when your reading schemes depend on the latter is not doing your children any favours but you can justify having spent time on phonics and the childrens writing skills support that.

Good luck.

I am currently working with two teachers in a reception class, who are working as a job share, one is an advocate for jolly phonics and had the children flying around the classroom today before sitting down to complete the worksheet. Whilst the other is keen on learning the HFW on sight, we do lots of shared writing and reading and all the children enjoy reading our daily sentance and most are making up sentances by themselves. Already half the class are reading but they are not so keen on writing (Could it be the worksheets?) although they are using sounds to support their writing with support.

We have always used a combination of approaches and for us and the majority of children it seems to work?!

I personally think one approach works for some and while for others another approach will be better, the important thing is not to push them or make it an issue that will effect their enjoyment of reading before they have really got off the ground ( Its the aeroplanes again)

I have to agree with Lynda the fact that you are bothered enough to explore all these issues means you are focused upon the children's best interests.

Sharon

Dear Moose,

I too agree with all above! We are all different and learn in different ways - some children (including my own children) really struggle with phonological awareness. My daughter's teacher said to me that she thought it was a miracle that my daughter could read so well but could not sound out 'cat' - she was about 7 at the time. The human brain is an amazing thing.

Recently I was at a Playing with Sounds course and we all had to write on post it stickers our views about phonics/reading etc. I was SO shocked to hear some of them when they were read out - one person (a teacher) had written children can't read until they know the sounds (or something similar) Thank goodness my children weren't in that class.

Your children sound at a very similar stage to my class. Out of 29 we have 2 readers (I could write a simple sentence on the white board and they could read it) about 6 who have good 1:1 and some sight vocab and can use initial sounds etc, and then the other children who love books and stories - many of them are still enjoying the ORT books without words.

We do Jolly Phonics and the children love it, I think the actions are so helpful for those children who struggle with phonics.

It sounds to me like you are doing a brilliant job and are a fantastic, caring and concerned teacher.

Dear all,

Thank you, as ever, for your wonderful, wise and honest replies. Some of them said such nice things that I had a little cry!

Joining this site has been the best thing I've ever spent money on. I honestly don't think I could teach in Reception without it!

I am in my first year of teaching reception and was more than a little worried at the start about how on earth I would be able to teach them to read and write. I agree with you that joining the forum has been money more than well spent. Thanks to this site I was able to find ideas which have worked, despite even my own reservations! I now teach Literacy using Jolly Phonics (with Jolly songs thrown in on a regular basis - very popular and often requested) and Action Words. The children have taken to this like the proverbial duck to water and thoroughly enjoy learning. I would certainly recommend Action Words for learning high frequency words as these have been very successful even with the lower ability group. Some of the actions are a little bizzare but totally acceptable to the children. I send home a new set of words and the homework sheet each week and the parents have responded very well to them. I feel much more confident about teaching Reception and indeed look forward to it!

This is my first year teaching year R and when it came to reading I really felt like a fish out of water, as with many schools I was under pressure from parents to give children reading books which I reluctantly did and all the children are coping well, some are flying through oxford reading tree and are backed up with learning the keywords for this scheme, the NLS High Frequency words can come later. However having been on a Jolly Phonics training day last week and listening to Sue Lloyd speak alot of what she said makes sense. How can children be expected to read when they haven't been taught the letter sounds or strategies of blending? Yes some children are natural readers and I have a fair few in my class but others need to be taught the skills. So as a result of my course we are taking one step back and consolidating all our letter recognition and sounds and blending, it has been an eye opener, even my most natural reader has found this difficult, but suddenly the most reluctant and unnatural reader is beginning to become more fluent and their confidence has improved too. Synthetic phonics works and I hope that these children will begin to read with more ease once they have got the scaffolding in place, Jolly Phonics isn't the only successful phonics programme out there but for me and until something better (if ever) comes along its definately the one for me! If anyone needs inspiration I advise that you go on a Jolly PHonics course, they also train you on JOlly grammar.!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)