Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problem Solving In Maths

keep it practical - a few ideas:

sharing objects between the children. Are there enough? How many more do we need?

How many different ways can 6 compare bears travel across the "pond" in two boats?

Put a few compare bears/ cubes etc on a tray. Count. Cover with a cloth and remove some. Show the children how many you have taken. How many are left under the cloth?

Give shapes for tesselating

How many ways can we colour in a row of three boxes using two colours?

Hope you can find something useful here :D

• 4 weeks later...

Dear ASPK

Thanks for your ideas, have been doing more problem solving activities over last few weeks and the children have loved them. One in particular for subtraction, where u put a number of small objects(teddies) on a tray and count how many there are. U then put a cloth over the teddies and the tray and ask someone to take some teddies away. The remainder stay covered under the cloth and the children have to work out how many are left under the cloth. I played this with a group of 8 reception children and they were all involved and totally focused. They moaned when we had to stop the game and had had learnt loads from such a simple activity!

Trudie

Ho Trudie,

Yes, I've done that too! Did you take a look at the power point from the teachers resource exchange network [you can find it on a google search] that I mentioned in a different post? It's a similar activity by Veronica Carter called something like "In the toybox" - comes as a zipped file but it's brilliant. There are a few other good ones there too.

I often use compare bears for adding and subtracting and have modified a rhyme from somewhere or other:

There are ... bears on my tray

As you can plainly see

If ... come to play

How many will there be?

or

There are ... bears on my tray

As you can plainly see

If ... go away

How many will there be?

Enjoy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)