Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Desperate Plea For Help With Planning

Hi there im in desperate need of some of your expert advice!

i am looking for ideas for activities that focus on estimating and recording with a reception class, which are can be split into groups.

The class is just beginning to be able to write numbers which are recognisable, and are learning their numbers to 20, counting up and down.

Any ideas on some estimating activities which involve some recording of some sort?

i would be more than grateful for any feedback, i had my plans written up and just been told today its all been chnaged :o

Many thanks in advance

What about Smartie Maths?

I usually do this with my children Year R. (great assessment activity)

Get hold of the small funsize boxes of smarties.

Chidren have to estimate how many they think are in their little box.

Then count (1-1) Do they have more or less than their estimate?

Next ask the children to sort the smarties (by colour)

and draw a ring around each colour set and record how many are in each colour group. There is usually 2 or 3 in each. The children can record pictorally or with numerals or both depending on their ability.

Discuss which colour has more/less

Eat the smarties (check for allergies, I usually check with parents first and send the box home with them.

I have done this activitiy over the last 4 or 5 years and surprisingly the children havent eaten them during the activity!

I usually put a annotated sheet on their work to explain the activity, otherwise it isnt obvious how much maths has gone on.

I do have a sheet at work - if you want me to post it let me know and I will try and remember to bring it home.

Michaelle

smartiesmath.doc

Michaelle, I'd be interested to see your sheet please  :D

45534[/snapback]

Its not brilliant but I use it to talk through with the children and then tick what they can do or jot any notes next to each point.

I then attatch it to the children's recording so that it gives an explanation of what the groups of coloured circles are and providing evidence of each child's achievement.

Hope you find it useful

Michaelle xx

What about Smartie Maths? 

I usually do this with my children Year R. (great assessment activity) 

Get hold of the small funsize boxes of smarties. 

Chidren have to estimate how many they think are in their little box.

Then count (1-1)  Do they have more or less than their estimate?

Next ask the children to sort the smarties (by colour)

and draw a ring around each  colour set and record how many are in each colour group.  There is usually 2 or 3 in each.  The children can record pictorally or with numerals or both depending on their ability.

Discuss which colour has more/less

Eat the smarties (check for allergies, I usually check with parents first and send the box home with them. 

I have done this activitiy over the last 4 or 5 years and surprisingly the children havent eaten them during the activity!

I usually put a annotated sheet on their work to explain the activity, otherwise it isnt obvious how much maths has gone on.

I do have a sheet at work - if you want me to post it let me know and I will try and remember to bring it home.

Michaelle

45511[/snapback]

We did a similar thing with Cadbury buttons (fun size packs) just to cut out the colours but the children loved it :)

We have competitions for estimation! We have a clear box containing different things each week, though we always start with sweets. We have a little recording sheet on which the children write their name and estimate then post it in a box. we leave it for a day or 2 then have a grand opening and counting session with a sticker, sweet or some treat for the winners and those with near numbers. We get lots of maths language from that as well as estimation and number and name writing practice.

put some chiffon scarves inside a Kleenex tissue box and get the children to estimate how many are inside, then pull them out one by one...it's like magic! Or put some objects inside a box so they rattle around a bit, pass it around the circle, each child gives it a bit of a shake and says how many they think are inside.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)