Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Timetable Problems

hi im trying to change my timetable for a reception class. i was wondering if anyone could help me. i not sure how many literacy and maths sessions i should have each week. my new foundation stage manager would be keen to have a full literacy/ numeracy hour each day but i told her there was no way i would do that.

can you suggest how many literacy and numeracy sessions you have each week.

cheers

hi sounds as if your new fs manager is a bit of a nightmare, all the advice i've heard has been to definitely not have a full numeracy / literacy hour each day..

I have 2 15min sessions a day, for whole class literacy and numeracy sessions, will have independent activities in both areas in my general provision, plus focussed activities throughout the week..

don't know if that helps but thats how I run it...

good luck

bb

Hi

We split our morning into short sharp focused sessions on the carpet for 10 mins and then 20 mins focused tasks in the class room. If we do have to do longer than 10 mins on the carpet then we do brain gym or go outside for a walk before starting again. We do daily phonics, Big book task (shared reading or writing) and always try to do a brief plenary. The focused tasks include a literacy job, and many of our independent tasks have a literacy or numeracy focus.

For maths we do mental maths first thing everyday with the register. We teach whole class maths 2x aweek and these sessions usually last about 15 mins with the children doing something practical on the carpet. We include maths tasks in focused tasks and also have maths objectives linked to role play, sand,pasta,water pits.

I think you would find a whole hour on one thing just wouldn't keep the children on task. Maybe you could ask your manager if you could come and watch him/her do the hour with a reption class.

Good luck anyway

Trudie

Hi Trudie, Interested to read how you organise your week. i am in a FS unit and we are constantly battling with how to fit it all in. How many children have you got? What is your staffing ratio? Would you be wiling/able to let us see a copy of your timetable please?

Thanks Sue

:o

We do 5 literacy sessions and 5 numeracy sessions but these are NOT literacy or numeracy hours! :o We have a brief unit introduction on the carpet then work in small groups at a focused adult led activity. This week we have literacy in the morning and numeracy in the afternoon, next week we will have numeracy in the morning and literacy in the afternoon. This means that nursery children who only attend either morning or afternoon receive the same input / experiences. We also have continuous provision for both areas which may or may not have adult input depending on our particular focus.

In our unit there are currently 63 children although this will increase as we accept children on their 3rd birthday, there are 2 qualified teachers and 2 NNEB qualified nursery nurses/ TAs. We also have 2 students for 2 days per week.

Hi Trudie, Interested to read how you organise your week. i am in a FS unit and we are constantly battling with how to fit it all in. How many children have you got? What is your staffing ratio?  Would you be wiling/able to let us see a copy of your timetable please?

Thanks Sue

:o

45491[/snapback]

Hi Sue

Have attached my timetable, I hope

Trudie

Infant_School_timetable_____Spring_1__2006.doc

hi thanks for all your help.

i was wondering what to do with some of our afternoons we tired plan do review but found it hard to fully implement fully and was wondering if we can have just chuild intiated afternnons, what do you do for this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)