Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curic & Planning

We are learning about winter food next week and would like sime fresh ideas for art work using veggies. Apart from the obvious veggie print I am a bit stuck. Does anyone have something with a wow factor....please

Our children love making veggie people and animals.

Accessories used include Stick on goggle eyes, Cocktail sticks ( supervised or sharpest point taken off), all manner of materials / fabric, shells, natural objects such as dried orange peel, nut shells, (my excuse for eating a whole pack of pistachio nuts during xmas break) etc etc.

Some children may have recently experienced making snowmen, so from their experience they can adapt the concept using potato. :D

peggy

What about observational paintings/drawings? Slice the vegetables lengthways down the middle-peppers, cabbages and tomatoes are particularly good as the have interesting middles with good patterns.

Linda

If your budget stretches why not buy one of those clocks powered by potatoes about £10.

What about making vegetable people with cocktail stick and a variety of veggies

make soup,

finger paint pre broccoli or cauliflower segments and use a pin to pull them together.

Try printing with different types of veggies ie. broccoli, cauliflower florets etc.

Look at alkaline/acid reactions with red cabbage - colour changes etc

Make your own dye from vegetables and paint with it

Play above the ground below the ground with your play vegetables

MAke sweetcorn/potato comparisons, tin, corn on the cob, popcorn etc, chips, mashed etc

Use mashed potato as an alternative to playdough, you could even color it

and ask them to eat it - they don't like it at all

If I think of some more I will let you know

Nikki

If your budget stretches why not buy one of those clocks powered by potatoes about £10. 

What about making vegetable people with cocktail stick and a variety of veggies

make soup,

finger paint pre broccoli or cauliflower segments and use a pin to pull them together. 

Try printing with different types of veggies ie. broccoli, cauliflower florets etc.

Look at alkaline/acid reactions with red cabbage - colour changes etc

Make your own dye from vegetables and paint with it

Play above the ground below the ground with your play vegetables

MAke sweetcorn/potato comparisons, tin, corn on the cob, popcorn etc, chips, mashed etc

Use mashed potato as an alternative to playdough, you could even color it

and ask them to eat it - they don't like it at all

If I think of some more I will let you know

Nikki

45430[/snapback]

45433[/snapback]

Crickey Nikki We had got as far as soup sorting and painting but you have so many thoughts. Love the clock thing had forgotten about that idea - maybe I'll pick up a sale bargain from that "science world" shop! Thanks

what about looking at some of the work of artist Guiseppe Arcinboldo and identifying some of the fruits and vegetables in the picture? ( You have to be careful which you select as some of his work is phallic) Children could then make their own pics by assembling pieces of fruit on a carpet tile take a picture with a digital camera and hey presto! Or they could do some of their own pics using pastels, paints or cut out pictures of fruit.

(Images found on google search done by children at schools as stated)

Also on Australia Womens weekly site there is some vegetable sculpture a bit like Mr Potato head.

post-2760-1136661360_thumb.jpg

post-2760-1136661381_thumb.jpg

post-2760-1136661399_thumb.jpg

post-2760-1136661506_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelle

great ideas here - thanks. Fantastic artist work michaelle - I'm not familiar with this artist, but I'll be looking at some of this work - also great idea to get the children to arrange fruit and take a digital photograph, then everyone's work will look like something :o

We've made papier mache fruit in the past, and then painted them and arranged them in a fruit bowl - a la still life.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)