Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition from Reception to Year 1

Once again our year 1 staff are complaining about the class they have received from Reception ...crazy bearing in mind they have only known them for 3 weeks!

"They are not ready to be in a year 1 class"

"we have to start the ground running if we are to reach the expectations of year 2"

"They are not ready for whole class teaching, they fidget on the carpet"

Last year I got so fed up I suggested to the year 1 staff we swap year groups, this was not me being stroppy I spoke to the rest of my team and we were in agreement. (I was secretly excited about bringing a play based curriculum to year 1)

There very measured response was maybe not this year.....

As a member of the SLT I am even more frustrated as I should be able to tackle this but year 1 have worked this way for ever and will not change their practice.

When I have researched transition policies alot seem to continue EYFS practice at least until the Autumn term, some very lucky children are in a school where the classes still ensure the 7 areas of learning are represented in the classroom, they have roleplay areas and some have have sand and water!

My question to you all is how many year 1 classes begin the autumn term using similar set up to Reception?

T

My last school used to.. ( I am now retired!) but I dont think they do now, at least not quite so much. It is good transition practise but I also appreciate they feel that they cant meet end of year expectations if they do. Of course, properly organised they can. Its a shame as a member of SLT that you cant influence this more but I think you need to model and work alongside to do this effectively. I dont believe that reception should be about getting ready for year 1 though so dont change what you do!

We have finally introduced a Year One that offers an enabling environment, but it has taken a lot of persuasion. Luckily we had a member of staff move up with the current cohort and they could see the benefits. I went on some transition training in the summer term and the message was very clear that there is no reason any if the Year One end of year outcomes cannot be taught through a more play based set up. They have also introduced negotiated learning, so the children can chose which activities they do but have to complete so many during the week. So far it seems to be working, we have still got to prove that progress is happening, but the children are not sat at desks and expected to concentrate for long periods of time.

Bev x

• Like 1

Hi,

I fear that a more formal approach is coming back. Our Year 1 class was set up with an enabling environment a few years ago but has slowly been made back into a 'sit-down at desks' classroom and our Reception is increasingly formal. There is definitely a belief that a formal approach is the only way to achieve the outcomes and if even if the teachers are interested it takes an investment of time and confidence to make a play-based approach work. I often think how I would do it (having mainly teaching in Reception and Nursery) and think that I would need to do training before I would be confident of the right balance.

I am quite disheartened at the moment about being involved in education as I watch the pressure that the children (and of course, teachers) are. I really worry for the well-being of our children in the future. :(

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)