Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdough Recipe Without Cooking

Hi

This is my first posting so a bit apprehensive as to whether I've posted in right area

I need a recipe for playdough without heating it as I'm going to get a group of parents to make it in our new community room. It's part of a new SHARE initiative I'm starting this month to encourage parents to be more involved in their childrens education.

Uncooked Play Dough

1 cup cold water

1 cup salt

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

3 cups flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

Tempera paint or food coloring

Mix water, salt, oil and enough paint to make bright colors. Gradually work flour and cornstarch to consistency of bread dough.

Also found a site with the recipe above but thought Id include the link as there are lots of ideas for dough

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/childclay/childclay.html

Guest alisonjayne

I have tried the hot water method it works very well, but I have never tried the recipe without using hot water if I want the children to make up their own dough they make their own salt dough 2 parts flour 1 part salt plus water and colouring this is great fun and messy but they can do it themselves :oxD . Sometimes we cook it but often not.

Ali

Hi Trudie and welcome! :D

Nothing wrong with the location of this post, well done. :D Hope it will be the first of many.

I trained to deliver the "Share" programme but for various reasons it never got off the ground. I'd be really interested in knowing how you and your parents get on. Doesnt the folder have a playdough recipe in it?

Have fun.

I run a SHARE group, 7 parents one morning a week. I have found it a rewarding and challenging experience. The benefits for the parents and children have been huge, the parents have increased in confidence, they have gained insight into how foundation stage works and how best to support their childs learning, they have also started to go for accrediation so hopefully they will get a qualification.

I would love to chat/ share ideas with anyone else who runs a group.

Thank You

Debs

We tried 2 of the ones from that site Marion posted today. Because of times and stuff we only had time to make it and not use it (things in my school take a long time!)

We've put them in the fridge ready to use Monday morning for our table top activity. Shall let you know what they are like.

We tried 2 of the ones from that site Marion posted today. Because of times and stuff we only had time to make it and not use it (things in my school take a long time!)

We've put them in the fridge ready to use Monday morning for our table top activity. Shall let you know what they are like.

45372[/snapback]

Hi Nichola

I've made some this weekend at home with my daughter. I adapted the recipe and it came out brilliantly! :) We made a bit of a mess, so aprons are definitely recommended. Although my daughter is 11 now she still played with it for 1/2 hour and it didn't get sticky. It's in the fridge now and we will see how it stands up to 30 pairs of little hands playing with it tomorrow. Let me know how yours went and I'll let you know too!

Trudie

PS I understand totally about the time issue!! :o

Hi Nichola

I've made some this weekend at home with my daughter. I adapted the recipe and it came out brilliantly!  :)  We made a bit of a mess, so aprons are definitely recommended. Although my daughter is 11 now she still played with it for 1/2 hour and it didn't get sticky. It's in the fridge now and we will see how it stands up to 30 pairs of little hands playing with it tomorrow. Let me know how yours went and I'll let you know too!

Trudie

PS I understand totally about the time issue!! :o

45454[/snapback]

Thanks for that! We had to adapt it a little bit (little excited hands tipping all the water in etc!!!

It will be out as our morning activity tomorrow morning, so we shall see! There are only a maximum of 8 pairs of hands on it, but then my lot do make a mess big time when let loose on things like this, so we shall see!

Hi Nichola

We used the dough today and the children really enjoyed themselves. We've used plasticine for some time so the different consistency meant they spent a lot of time exploring and kneading and rolling the dough AND IT DIDN'T GET STICKY! :D:)

We have groups of 8 too, but run an integrated day so over the course of the day every one gets a go at all the activities.

Hope your dough was a sucess and thank you to all those who helped me with the recipe! :)

Trudiex

Edited by Trudie

Hmm sounds like you had more success than me. Ours was VERY sticky even when it was just me playing with it trying to get one kid to touch it! Never mind, they enjoyed it and got covered in the stuff!!

wow ive just sucessfully (i hope) made the play dough without having to cook it! just put it in the fridge.. does that help?

45523[/snapback]

:) Yes and if you wrap in a plastic bag or keep in an airtight container that also prolongs the life of the dough. Did your children use it today successfully?

Trudie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)