Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading In A Fsu

I teach in a FS unit- it's great and it's also part of a school, so in effect I am employed by the school and all the other practitioners are employed by the EY service. At the moment I am being pulled in 2 directions the EY lot say one thing (same as me!) and the new HT who has no understanding of KS1 let alone FS, says something completely different. Don't get me wrong, I do have high expectations of my children , just that we don't do formal Literacy Hour.

So he is observing me in regards to performance management and wants to see a Guided Reading lesson- he has given me an observation sheet of things he is looking for , but it is not exactly in sync with the EY ethos of the unit. I have tried discussing this- but to no avail. There is a whole big section about independent fluent reading, I tried to explain, that most of my children (lot of SEN and EAL) are not at this stage yet. I asked him to come and observe some phonics stuff alongside (Jolly Phonics), but no, he is expecting to see some fluent reading, and the full Guided Reading searchlights model.

I do do some Guided Reading with those who are ready, but am beginning to think it's not good enough.Can anyone give me any pointers- I used to think I knew what I was doing, but just lately feel like I am between a rock and a hard place- s'pose that's a whole new thread- but I am seriously doubting myself- so any advice on Guided Reading especially in a FSU welcome.

As part of the early reading development pilot I worked with our early years teacher who delivered a guided readins session with a group of my children - the most able I might add. It was basically a very simple game with props. They had very simple rules to follow eg hop to the mat, they really enjoyed reading the instructions and then doing it, then they shared it with their friends. I dont know where you work but none of my reception children are fluent but are just beginning to flex their reading muscles. I am lucky that my head listens but hopefully if this pilot is successful it will be put out nationwide.

Our county Literacy advisor told me that it isnt necessary to use books for guided reading in foundation stage/ reception and that it was OK to use posters the childrens own writing and even puppets, pictures, storyboards etc in my guided reading session We also use some very simple books (some without words) to develop the idea of reading. Maybe you could work on this Good Luck :)

Was just going to add the scheme we use is the Rigby Star

http://www.myprimary.co.uk/assets/catalogu...RigbyStar05.pdf

Perhaps read a simple book together then ask the children to find easy words or even letters on the pages We look to see how many times we can find our focus word in the book (may be a for less able groups)

At the early stage making sure children are holding the book correctly/ that the know which is the front/ where to start reading/ can use the pictures to predict etc

Edited by MARl0N

We use the rigby star scheme for guided reading which spans from reception to year 6. I agree that guided reading doesn't really fit in with FS but the rigby star scheme is pretty good for all abilities (don't use sheets though). Good luck!

Thanks josiebrad

My kids are not fluent! Sorry I know it was a rambling post, I have 2 children who are just taking off, and a large group who know all their sounds and just beginning to segment and blend cvc words. Can you give me any more information about the pilot, some examples of activities- because I feel like I am going mad- just want the HT to see a good lesson, get him off my back , so that I can talk to the EY team about getting him on board with the whole EY ethos

Good luck!!

However, you cant show what the children cant do because developmentally it is beyond them but you can show what you do within the parameters of the lesson. So I would make the best of showing where the children are and the techniques you use to develop their reading skills, including a phonics session. Also keep your working routines in place so children are familiar with what they have to do.

You could do the phonics with a group or with the whole class and then look at the words the children are going to need to read with your guided group, building them with their phonic knowledge or introducing them as tricky or key words, perhaps you already have these displayed in the unit? Can you use this area for your guided reading session?

You could then guide the childen through the book, concentrating on tracking the print and looking at the pictures etc, perhaps identifiying words with them and asking them to find them on a page or in the book etc and finally let them reread on their own.

If your head wont accept what you tell him then you have to demonstarte what you do do and how wekk you do it. Have a written plan ---perhaps you could even identify how what you do fits or develops to his model??

Hope that makes sense.

Good luck.

:o

We use the rigby star scheme for guided reading which spans from reception to year 6. I agree that guided reading doesn't really fit in with FS but the rigby star scheme is pretty good for all abilities (don't use sheets though). Good luck!

45257[/snapback]

I have been using rigby star too alongside Jolly Phonics. We have looked at some of the books with no words- and the kids have re-told the stories using character lolly stick puppets from the stories. I think this is quite good practice as they are really enjoying the stories talking about beginning, middle, end. Re-telling, using sentences, looking at book conventions, pluse a good dose of structured phonics, and of course some story times as well as provision- like reading corner, writing area etc. It's just this observation sheet thing is worrying me, and I keep questioning my ability to teach!

Sounds like you are doing things well and appropriately and have good resources to support you. Show him the teachers book for the text you choose from Rigby star for your session and hopefully he will begin to appreciate what you are doing and why. If you can match his sheet with your plan in any way then you will feel more confident.

I'll try and get the stuff tomorrow and post an outline of what she did but it was basically a very simple poster that she had made.

Its a good job you reminded me, unless its written down its gone!!!

The session went something like this.

Its a very simple game for the group to play, you start with a very simple poster A4 explaining the rules of the game. What do we do? instructions such as hop to the cat, sit on the mat, loook in the pot. pictures and symbols were added to support. we read through this with the children encouraging them to read or work out the words. The words were chosen to link with the group of phonics we were learning or revising. Then to play the game each instruction was on an individual card. Each child was given one with no pictures or symbols, they read it in turn and did what it said. There were props around the area ie a picture of a cat for them to hop to. The game was then left out and they continued to play with their friends. I was worried that my kids would turn their noses up at it but they loved it and really enjoyed the mix of reading and doing. I am sure you could make it as simple or as difficult as you needed to.

Hope it helps

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and support everyone. In the end it all went really well. The LEA target setting type person observed too and said it was excellent.

Thought I would just share highlights because I noticed a couple of other threads about guided reading :

I made a big thing of talking about the objectives in a child- friendly way. Focused mainly on the walkthrough. Discuseed the tricky words. Then the kids had a go at reading independently - while I stepped in with questions if nec., and we looked at miscues/mistakes together at the end. I just did this with the 2 who were capable.

I did a similar thing with a group of six- with books with no words. They couldn't manage the independent bit- but they used lolly stick characters from the book- to retell the story.

Am going to try josiebrads ideas too- now that the LEA man has gone! They said that I should ask more open-ended questions in order to further improve.

• 2 weeks later...
I teach in a FS unit- it's great and it's also part of a school, so in effect I am employed by the school and all the other practitioners are employed by the EY service.  At the moment I am being pulled in 2 directions the EY lot say one thing (same as me!) and the new HT who has no understanding of KS1 let alone FS, says something completely different. Don't get me wrong, I do have high expectations of my children , just that we don't do formal Literacy Hour.

So he is observing me in regards to performance management and wants to see a Guided Reading lesson- he has given me an observation sheet of things he is looking for , but it is not exactly in sync with the EY ethos of the unit. I have tried discussing this- but to no avail. There is a whole big section about independent fluent reading, I tried to explain, that most of my children (lot of SEN and EAL) are not at this stage yet. I asked him to come and observe some phonics stuff alongside (Jolly Phonics), but no, he is expecting to see some fluent reading, and the full Guided Reading searchlights model.

I do do some Guided Reading with those who are ready, but am beginning to think it's not good enough.Can anyone give me any pointers- I used to think I knew what I was doing, but just lately feel like I am between a rock and a hard place- s'pose that's a whole new thread- but I am seriously doubting myself- so any advice on Guided Reading especially in a FSU welcome.

45253[/snapback]

I also teach in a FSU. It is new and I have taught in a fairly formal Reception class up to now, We have adopted the Rigby Star scheme for FS as it is friendly and fun. First level books have no words and are photograph based. Then, like reading schemes, it gradually introduces words. It also has phonic based books. Great fun and the children love it. I do do guided reading everyday. The books also come with a teachers book that "walks" you through the text and gives advice about the questions to ask and ewhat to look out for. It also gives the objectives for each text.

I'd say "Go ahead and do what you feel is right for your children" Then sit your head down and give him a lesson in early years education!! :o

Guest Miss Molly

I am a Reception teacher and also Literacy Co-ordinator for the school. I each guided reading with each child once a week. The children are grouped according to their needs and the books chosen appropriately. Myself, I feel Guided Reading is an excellent way to engage children, improving book/story language and the first reading skills and strategies.

I think the title 'Guided Reading' is misleading. Use this time with a group to share a book (they all have the same copy). Our less able children are learning to tell a story from the pictures with more confidence and fluency. Many groups are working towards using picture clues alongside first letter clues and others are at the stage where they are growing in confidence at blending phonemes in unfamiliar words.

I follow the normal format for GR, including book discussion, explaining what it is they will be doing/learning, practicing this together, guiding children as they each have a go, independent reading and then discussing as a group how they have got on.

I hope this is helpful. Use guided reading sessions to have fun with books!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I was going to start a new opic about reading in Reception and then noticed you'd already been having one-i know it was a month ago now but AMP if you're reading this i'd be really interested to find out how you fit in G/read every day in a FSU. I also teach in a unit attached to a school. Its the old nursery building-completely separated from scl . I used to be in a reception classroom in school and at the time (3 years ago) I used literacy links as G/read and sent home oxford reading tree-we kept these books on a corridor btwn R and Y1/2 so we shared them as obviously some rception needed to access hiher levels/year 1 lower. However, when we moved over to the unit it was going to be really unmanagable to share the books so our literacy co-ordinator ordered us the rigby star (for G/reading ) and that left the literacy links to send home. Each child has a g/read session once a week with me, they read once a week with my TA and I have a 'library' that parents can access whenever they want. However, because there are 41 in Reception and only one set of literacy links some chn jhad to start off on set b and go backwards if that makes sense? Wasnt enough books to go round. So thay all get a new book to take home once a week (if they bring their reading wallet xD ) Unfortunately, although lit co happy, other senior managers are :o horrified! They have only just found out that I can not send up a level to year 1 teacher as we are on a different scheme. Y1 teacher starts from beginning with oxford Rt and levels them as appropriate (I obviously send up ability groups/FS ROA which has profile points ). I have heard that some schools change books EVERYDAY!! Now I feel guilty but our LEA advise (Manchester) is that Reception should NOT be on reading schemes and that once a week g/read sessions is enough. I'm getting such conflicting advice but my biggest bug bear is the fact that I teach in a unit and as such am tied to an area rota wise (I'sd love to read all morning but this wouldnt be leading by example as we should all take a turn in the more noisy/messy areas-the reading corner is the luxury! :):) Help Please!!!

We are a Foundation Stage Unit and I do guided reading once a week with all the children We also use Rigby and Rigby / ORT / Ginn360 for home reading. Our Literacy co ordinator has leveled all the books. We have parent helpers who help to hear the children read in school twice a week.

Hi

I teach in reception and we do a guided reading session for each ability group once a week. We follow through with guided writing sessions. As Marion says you do not always need to use books, posters and children's writing are an excellent resource. I am also literacy co-ordinator and books are colour coded according to the book bands scheme. we have rigby star, ORT, storyworld, etc and looking into investing in new ORT schemes which have a phonic approach and are written by Julia Donaldson (The Gruffalo)

Hope this helps

Hi! I was going to start a new opic about reading in Reception and then noticed you'd already been having one-i know it was a month ago now but AMP if you're reading this i'd be really interested to find out how you fit in G/read every day in a FSU.  I also teach in a  unit attached to a school.  Its the old nursery building-completely separated from scl .  I used to be in a reception classroom in school and at the time (3 years ago) I used literacy links as G/read and sent home oxford reading tree-we kept these books on a corridor btwn R and Y1/2 so we shared them as obviously some rception needed to access hiher levels/year 1 lower.  However, when we moved over to the unit it was going to be really unmanagable to share the books so our literacy co-ordinator ordered us the rigby star (for G/reading ) and that left the literacy links to send home.  Each child has a g/read session once a week with me, they read once a week with my TA and I have a 'library' that parents can access whenever they want.  However, because there are 41 in Reception and only one set of literacy links some chn jhad to start off on set b and go backwards if that makes sense?  Wasnt enough books to go round.  So thay all get a new book to take home once a week (if they bring their reading wallet xD )  Unfortunately, although lit co happy, other senior managers are  :o horrified!  They have only just found out that I can not send up a level to year 1 teacher as we are on a different scheme.  Y1 teacher starts from beginning with oxford Rt and levels them as appropriate (I obviously send up ability groups/FS ROA which has profile points ).  I have heard that some schools change books EVERYDAY!! Now I feel guilty but our LEA advise (Manchester) is that Reception should NOT be on reading schemes and that once a week g/read sessions is enough.  I'm getting such conflicting advice but my biggest bug bear is the fact that I teach in a unit and as such am tied to an area rota wise (I'sd love to read all morning but this wouldnt be leading by example as we should all take a turn in the more noisy/messy areas-the reading corner is the luxury! :)  :) Help Please!!!

50812[/snapback]

We do guided reading/shared reading (whatever you want to call it) at about 11.20am That is after the nursery children have left and before the staff working with nursery go for lunch at 11.45. It works reasonably well and enables me to take a group out into a quiet area. The other teacher uses Firm foundations which is a language based activity, with a group and the two TA's float. |It means the reception children can have a bit of peacre and quiet to play games etc without 3 yr olds disturbing them! It's the time of day I look forward to! I feel I am doing something worthwhile.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)