Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

induction

Ive been in my new job for several months. Ive gone from sessional care to room supervisor in full day care setting - a huge change in terms of hours and size of setting and Im struggling to settle.

Things are very different from what im used to...and there are loads more staff and children to get to know.

I am confident about being good at my job and knowing my stuff....but the social aspects like building relationships I struggle with. It takes me time to do this - but Im really feeling the pressure to fit in as well as getting things right.

im so anxious all the time and everyone else is so busy too..its go go go all the time and just seem to get on with it...I feel like I should know this stuff but like I said day nursery life is totally new to me and I don't know if some of what Im seeing that jars with me is 'normal' or not...or how to approach discussing queries over practice when im still new!

Despite my experience and the role ive been employed to do I feel I need much more support as Im inducted into this alien day care life...goodness knows how children cope with it!

How do you expect to induct senior staff...when there is no room to take time out for it...am I mistaken to think there'd be more input - should I just carry on and try to assimilate it all as I go?.

How long before you expect them to be ready to lead the room fully and make changes..etc

Im busy all the time working in room and interacting with the children. I have got to know the staff in my room okay but still got far to go before we can 'perform' together. Im often not around at opening or closing so there are many parents I never see...which doesn't help with the confidence either ...when some turn up early I have no idea who they're there for!

I haven't had any opportunity to look in any detail at childrens files yet let alone other things I need to know and do

I don't feel I have a grip on things at all. I just want to feel relaxed and happy and be able to make a positive contribution.

Any advice?