Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interesting Document For Fs And Ks1

I was trawling the TES boards, bored this morning with no work AGAIN and I came across this document on the possible introduction of a Foundation Phase in Wales which would cover all children from 0-7 with a greater emphasis on the kind of learning that nursery and reception children are experiencing atm.

I think it sounds a great idea, more play in children's learning. I'm not from Wales but it would be interesting to see if this does happen there and what the rest of the UK makes of it

To read it (well not all of it, I just skim read!) click on this link below

Interesting document from Wales

Let me know what you think

What a fantastic idea. At last.....People who recognise that children are children and not roots.

What can we do to get it going here in England. Surely there must be a way? <_<

What can we do to get it going here in England. Surely there must be a way?

I agree, there must surely be a way to get it happening here, but I think England will probably just wait until Wales does it first and see what happens! You know what we are like, can't make a decision without seeing someone else have a go first!

Hi,

I am convinced something will happen and hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have been on a working party at QCA to make links, FS & KS1. The independant chair was an OFSTED inspector.

We produced some draft materials.

Many schools are already taking the initiative to make learning more appropriate.

Susan

I am convinced something will happen and hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have been on a working party at QCA to make links, FS & KS1. The independant chair was an OFSTED inspector.

We produced some draft materials.

Many schools are already taking the initiative to make learning more appropriate.

Susan

o0o That sounds quite promising! Lets keep our fingers crossed eh?

Hi Nichola,

I understand that the Foundation Phase is already underway in Wales and that SATs have been abolished at Key Stage 1. Yippee :o I haven't read anything recently in the early years press about how things are going; I expect it's really early days and practitioners are just getting on with it :) I think it's really exciting too, and feel sure that England will follow......

hi! i'm doing a research project on this topic for my Early Years degree and i'm really keen to learn more about what Susan was working on at QCA, maybe you can drop me a line.

I am totally in support of moving the foundation stage up into key stage one, something really needs to be done to support these children during this transition period, sooner rather than later!

the article on Wales proposels is really interesting and i've found it really helpful, it's so much better to use this website to find info rather than trawling through loads + loads of non relevent info. THANKS EVERYONE! :D:D

• 2 months later...

I am currently working with a school in Nottingham, actively embracing the Foundation Stage through Key Stage 1, using the FS pedagogy actively and not rigidly adhering to NLS and NNS strategies. Another school is now 'triangulating' their findings with original school. We are using learning stories to document children's competencies and achievement and covering the walls with documentation as well as using stories to inform their profile. The school decided on the learning dispositions they wanted to actively encourage in children, and we are researching how we plan from the children's interests. A broad and balanced curriculum is on offer and the level of engagement and achievement of children is more visible. Interestingly, we observed children with existing IEPs using learning dispositions and narrative and found that the targetted children were performing at a much higher level than was once assumed. This has changed the teachers' approach to planning for their next steps and we are quite excited about this.

It is a very happy environment.