Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spelling Tests

We are starting spelling tests this term with year 1. I hate the word test but it has to be done. Because it is my first year in year I wondered if any year 1 teachers could give me some advice on how to make the tests more fun for the children. Do you do it as a whole class or in small groups etc. How many spellings do you give and how do you mark them? Also when children write their news do you do that as a whole class activity etc. I am asking this because i do not have a full time assistant and this year i have a lot of children who need a lot of support so it is very hard for me to give individual attention.

Hello and Happy New Year! I actually did "spelling tests" in the summer term with my reception children last year!! I know that this sounds hideously draconian, but I promise it wasn't. I worked with small groups of children and we made it into a game to see if they could catch me out. The children felt very grown up! The most essential part of this, for me, was making sure that the children knew that if they couldn't do the spellings I gave them there was no problem. That way, I hoped to prevent the panicking that I know goes on higher up the school. I made sure that the words the children were given were appropriate to their level (i.e. I differentiated carefully!). I also made sure that the words were around in my reading and mark making areas, and on the chalk and white boards. I have to admit that it was a very time consuming process. I know that at my school in Year 1 the children to a spelling test once a week, altogether. However, I know that my own daughter found this very daunting and it put her off spelling for ages! I would advise just trying out different ways to manage this and see what works best for you and for your children. Good luck!!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

i do a weekly spelling test with my yr1 children.The children take home a list of words from the jolly phonics, based on the phonics we are doing in class, eg cvc words or ccvc . they take them home in a quiz book on a Friday for a quiz the following Friday, Everyone gets a sticker for having a go so they are all very keen.The parents like the idea as they have a week to get involved ,5 mins a night .This next term I will introduce a TRICKY word each week from the list of r/ks1 words, it will be a word they use in their writing and I will write it on fluorescent paper and have it displayed on the board for the week, we will keep looking at it and playing games with it...each week a new one will be added , when they are happy with this i may up it to three a week...it all dependens on the children and how keen they are.

I think they will enjoy the quiz good look

Tinkerbell

The recent advice we were given by the county literacy advisor was no more than 5 spellings and to look at word families rather than use either high frequency words or jolly phonics tricky words. I admit to 'spelling tests' in summer term of reception but only do 3 or 4 words a week. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)