Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C11

:o

Can anyone suggest an activity to do when my assessor comes to cover all of c11 as my mind is quite blank..... age of children in my setting are 2-3 years, some do have delayed speech.

thanks i would be very grateful of any ideas given.

(for planning for observation)

Sorry, not doing NVQ and can't remember what C11 is about. I'm guessing it's language development from your comment. What would you normally do in your setting to enable children to develop and progress with C11 content? What activities do you normally do to develop language skills?

I personally believe that NVQ is about current practice, skills and knowledge and shouldn't be in "addition" to what you would "normally" do. Although I do understand that you would want to "exploit" the presence of the assessor and try to cover as much as possible during his/her observation time with you. If area's are not observed can they not be evidenced with previous planning and evaluation documents or witness statements?

Peggy

Yes, you're right Peggy, it is language development. I haven't got the standards at home, but I think it's quite a big ask to try & get something from each element of such a big unit in one observation. Having said that, a lot of it is about the way you interact with the children, using techniques like open-ended questions, leaving space for them to contribute etc. Especially with such young children, making sure you aren't 'interrogating' them to try & get them to speak, which is a mistake some people make.

I think it covers activities like sharing stories, doing rhymes & songs, doesn't it? If you want to get interaction & conversation in, you might be better focussing on a small group or even an individual rather than going for large group - more appropriate for this age group anyway. If you can make notes of what the children say you might be able to get some assessment out of it, too.

Hope that helps. I could have anwered better if I had the standards here. Maybe someone else can give you some other pointers. All the best!

Most of this unit you should be covering through your normal interaction with the children. You could also plan to have a circle/storytime where perhaps you read the children a short book, sing a song together and encourage some of the older children to talk about their experiences related to them. Make sure that the topic you choose to focus on is relevant to the children. As Peggy says though, this should be something you would normally do with the children and not something that has been planned just for the observation. :)

:D Thanks all for the advice, i know i'm interacting with the children all the time, but was thinking of an activity which could promote this so i cover all the elements required when the assessor comes.

cheers all, a problem shared is a problem halfed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)