Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Books

I have started teaching the reception children from a mixed age class 3 days per week. In Key Stage One all the children's written work is compiled into a topic book (there is a topic each term) and then this is sent home to parents. i have been asked to do this too, but there isn't as much in it as the year one children's. There is a feeling of concern that most of the children have siblings in the school who did quite a lot of work on paper in the mixed class (this is the first year the reception children have been seperate). The children are mostly very able and another teacher commented that they would be able to do the year one work.. but I think the other teachers are unfamiliar with the nature of the foundation stage and that is is not just the level below key stage one...

What is your opinion on these topic books? And does anyone else follow a term long topic in the foundation stage? (it seems this has to be done cos of the mixed class following it)

• 3 weeks later...

Mharhi, we do a mini book for both our FS1 and 2. In it goes not only teacher-led things but pictures, notes drawings the children have done at home or in the writing den. The child can choose what goes in. This might help fill your book up! We annotate their work and share it with Parents

Chris :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)