Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Motivational Stickers

Guest tinkerbell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am interested in these responses. Actually I wouldn't use stickers and don't believe that stickers motivate? My feeling about stickers as rewards is that in very specific instances with individual children they may possibly have a short term use. However, in the classroom situation I, and some others, believe that they give the child the power to control the adults reward giving behaviour.

Christine

I think that sums up my feelings pretty well Christine! I'm in a preschool, my daughter who lives at home is a Y1/2 teacher, & we have soem lively discussions about this!

I think that sums up my feelings pretty well Christine! I'm in a preschool, my daughter who lives at home is a Y1/2 teacher, & we have soem lively discussions about this!

I am interested in these responses.  Actually I wouldn't use stickers and don't believe that stickers motivate?  My feeling about stickers as rewards is that in very specific instances with individual children they may possibly have a short term use.  However, in the classroom situation I, and some others, believe that they give the child the power to control the adults reward giving behaviour.

Christine

45846[/snapback]

Our children are in control of who gets the stickers, they nominate their peers and justify why they think they deserve one. They tend to come up with much better and much more specific reasons than us.

We also use a chart to record helper of the day etc, with a sticker and so every child gets a chance to get a sticker.

Peggy

Interesting discussion on stickers.

We do use them especially if a child has achieved a target they have been working very hard on, like reading first 20 key words, managing to take and put on socks without help, learning names of 2 and 3D shapes, coming into school without crying, doing their zips on their coats. We use white labels and write the child's name, the date and the achievement. We use a commercial sticker on the label to add colour.

These stickers are of great importance to the children. Both my children went to the school where I teach and they kept their stickers on their wardrobes until they left the school. Following this they made a scrapbook of them and occasionally my 12 year old still looks and remembers getting them.

Trudie

Hi Christor

Are you a fan of Shirley Clarke? She dosen't believe in the whole sticker culture and after listening to her talk once actually felt motivated to buy the book "Punished by Rewards" by Cohn (I think).

The book and Shirley Clarke certainly made me think, and I do agree about some aspects - my own daughter managed to pass through the whole of Year 2 without ever achieving her 'Headteacher's Award' for getting 100 stars - she was certainly 'punished' by that system. Apparently the research shows that the majority of stickers go to challenging children, SEN children and very bright children - middle of road/quiet children often miss out (hence my daughter)

HOWEVER, after all this, I do use stickers, because like everything in life I believe in common sense and the sensitive use of stickers and a FAIR reward system, I think, can really mean a great to children.

PS have got stickers from the Pedagogs and think they are fab!

Guest tinkerbell

I am very careful how I use my stickers, in fact one mum last year (a school psychologist )came in afterschool to tell me i was mean with my stickers and I should give out more! I had to really stand my ground with her.

Like peggy the class choose children who should be rewarded. I have a box of stickers which I occassionally pass around for everyone to take one for eg everyone managing to get changed after PE.If the children do their homework they get a sticker.If the children eat all their lunch the midday supervisors like to give them a sticker and the parents then know that the children have eaten well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)