Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

Hi starting a topic on jungles after christmas and usually have lots of ideas...but then there's the big O word. Ofsted are due to arrive at our school at anytime.....no letter yet but not long. Wasn't nervous about it but now very nervous as everyone is talking about them. My displays are an issue that has recently cropped up and i'm trying really hard to remedy it. I wondered if anyone could help me with jungle ideas??? Rhymes, stoies, activities or pictures of jungle dislays. All would be appreciated as sitting here blank.

We have made a jungle area in the past. Netting woven with strips of crepe paper to make a covered area for the children. We made a tape of jungle noises and tapes of songs and stories relating to the jungle for the children to use. A few soft toys and some animals costumes left over from the summer concert completed the area.

The main books we used were Rumble in the Jungle and Walking through the Jungle. A favourite song was from the lively music scheme called Listen to the animals. Will look for our display photographs at school tomorrow and attach.

Hi, we had a jungle display which the children loved. We suspended some lightweight branches from the ceiling and used different length strips of crepe paper dangling down. We also had the children make snakes from coloured stuffed tights and wrapped these around the branches, and attached some collage card monkey faces peeping through. On the wall behind the branch,we had lots of shades of green - collage leaves, twine etc, and exotic flowers. The children made jungle animals to 'hide' (camouflage) between the leaves. The children had great fun trying to spot any small additions to the camouflage picture which the staff had added (eg insect, bird) We used 'children's writing' of desriptive words also in camouflage colours to support the scene. It was a great theme, hope Ofsted goes OK when they do arrive.

Thanks for that. Just feel so worried about ofsted. Went into school today with lots of ideas but once i got in felt so tired. Trying to set up a music area.

Hi there,

Just done a jungle display with 'Elmer' as our starting point. Our theme was patterns. and we made Elmer from squares. and then his friends the giraffe, the zebra, the leopard. and the tiger. We sponge printed the giraffe, wrapped string around tubes to create rollers for the zebra and the tiger and painted spots on the leopard. also used triangle sponges on snakes too. We also looked at lines on leaves and then painted lines on huge jungle leaves. Also used walking in the jungle for children's ideas of what they would like to see and added emergent writing to the display. Hope there might be something of use for you. Try not to worry about the 'O' We're in the same position, but I keep telling myself there are much more important things like your health and your family and you can only do your best.

If 'O' criticise then try to have some self- belief. Focus more on what you know you do well.

I've written this partly as a reminder to myself, so

Don't let them spoil your Christmas-worrying saps your strength

Switch off, enjoy yourself and you'll manage much better I'm sure

Happy Christmas-Lynda

We did jungle this term - took three big boxes, children decorated them and we made them into canoes - then put 2 cd's on - one with animal soundtracks on - you know the one that you have to cover the animal with a counter when you hear the noise on one cd on the other - had pan pipe music - children loved it and really got into the role play. They made oars and a bit later they decided they needed seat belts as these canoes were just not going fast enough and they wanted to be in a speed boat - sign of the times or what! you could then try and make some rain makers out of tubes and rice or beans or such like. What about trying to make some paints or colours out of vegetables or earth or something - never done it myself only just thought of it so don't know if it would work

I am sure you will be fine - if you have everything updated and you know exactly what you are doing and have everything prepared I am sure it wil lbe fine.

Nikki

Nikki

Thanks for all the support. It's just that load of things seem not to be good enough anymore. Thank goodness for the children who seem to appreciate everything i do!

Thanks for that. Just feel so worried about ofsted. Went into school today with lots of ideas but once i got in felt so tired. Trying to set up a music area.

44874[/snapback]

Hi Purplecat

Don't know if this is of any use to you, but you can download free musical instruments clip art from www.kizclub.com/Clipart/music/pdf (nice outline pics of instruments and their names)

Regards,

Fox

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling a bit nervous about going back to school. Anyone got any ideas about doing a topic on jungles? Thought i'd start with Dear Zoo....get children to make own book but called dear pet shop. Use post office to write a letter. Paint animals. Move to carnival of animals. Make animals out of dough exploring squeexing etc. Simple addition using animals. Then go onto walking through the jungle. What you think?Be honest! How is eveyone else feeling?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)