Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading ELG

I have quite a few children who are confident with reading 2 syllable words and reading phase 4 words easily in text. They are very close to reading unfamiliar words using different strategies.

I have a few other children who can read cvc words with ease and simple sentences. I have a slow reader who gets a bit distracted when she is reading. She sometimes stutters too. I have been told she does not fit the ELG in reading because she is too slow.

Do you have any similar children in your class? I am thinking about putting in practise in twice daily to see if we can improve her reading confidence. she is quite able in the rest of the reading descriptor.

thanks

I don't recall reading at speed being a requirement, but have a check in the exemplification materials just in case. As long as she can decode, read tricky words and talk about what she has read with understanding then should be OK?

We have reading top Red/Yellow band as an aim for end of Year R and that generally equates to our ELG readers if that's of any help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)