Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kuw- Science Through Stories

Hi all I am appealing on behalf of my niece!

She is doing a TA course and has to focus on planning, we have covered the general planning together but now she has to produce a hypothetical 6 week topic on KUW- science through stories. My brain has gone all blahhhh :o and I am struggling to come up with any more than the obvious...have you any suggestions?

I am finding it difficult to believe that she is having to plan on a TA course for such a long period of time?

Any suggestions will be greatly received...although I do appreciate that it is very difficult to think of anything other than cards, hats, calenders, glitter and nativities just now!

Thanks

Dougal xx xD

Hi all I am appealing on behalf of my niece!

She is doing a TA course and has to focus on planning, we have covered the general planning together but now she has to produce a hypothetical 6 week topic on KUW- science through stories.

Our topic next term is traditional stories. My staff came up with splitting it into weekly areas of castles, animals, food, transport and magic. Castles and magic are fairly easy, lots to choose from there, animals just about ok but for food I have so far the Gingerbread man, the enormous turnip, and the big pancake. There must be others but I too am having trouble getting the brain past Christmas.

As for transport - they want to include things like Postman Pat, Thomas the tank engine. Here I feel I either need to change the topic to something like favourite stories or have a different area of traditional stories to work on.

Going back to your request for help on science through stories

the 3 bears porrige

ugly duckling changing to a swan

reflections in ugly duckling and the mirror in Snow White

very tenuous but how many 'mattresses' can the princess feel a pea through

Jack's beanstalk

Aesop's The wind and the sun

Thats all I can come up with for now. Hope it helps.

Edited by Guest

Guest tinkerbell

I'm thinking of traditional tales as a topic and science materials I teach R/yr1

so through literacy link

Three bears ,making porridge, hot,cold,sweet,salty

Polar polar bear ,making icebergs with polar bears inside melting,saving ice, making ice lollies, different flavours.

The three little pigs materials strength, bricks,twigs straw

Two weeks on each ?

Whitetree--"the magic Porridge Pot"

"Little red riding Hood" ---picnic baskets/ food for Grandma

"Handa's Surprise" fruits

Dougal---"The Blue Balloon"

"Cant you sleep little bear"--light and dark

"Elmer again"--reflections

might be easier to know what the learning was!!

There are some very good stories which are linked to KUW in a series called 'Busy Bees'. I have used one called A Seed in need. It is about a bear who grows a sunflower seed. It is good as it has lots of vocab, talks about the needs of plants/ seeds and is interesting. There are others in the series one on pushes and pulls.

Mr Archimede's Bath

Investigate floating and sinking

What happens to water in a small container if you add lots of stones?

Peace at Last

Investigate sounds - loud and quiet

Make simple musical instruments/ sound makers

Investigate the diff types of sounds you can make (wood on wood, shakers, metal triangle etc)

The three little pigs

Investigate properties of sticks, straw and bricks - what happens to them in water? Which will make the strongest house etc

Miss Mopple's Washing Line

Which fabric will dry fastest?

How can we find out which way the wind is blowing?

You can find more ideas here teaching science in the foundation stage

Thanks all...I have passed the info on....very much appreciated!!My brain just went blahhhh....do you ever have those it's end of term and my left hand couldn't say what the right hand was doing kind of times?

I wake up singing Rat a Tat Tat and This Christmas Time!

Thankyou for taking the time to reply!

Dougal xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)