Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help.....tlr Grrrrrrrr

Does anybody have any idea about the new pay structure?

we are a small school with:

1 head

1 MA point 2

2 MA point 1 + 1 MA point 1 who is part time

1UPS

and 5 mps teachers

I am MA1 with curric responsibility but the head has not said what is going to happen and we have no deputy - is it true that the management points are not safe?

Head is not very approachable at the minute so thought i would ask if anyone had a clue?

thanks xxx

The school should have their new structure in place by Sep 2006, I think, but there should be discussions going on now with staff/governors. From what I understand, your MA pay is protected for up to 3 years, but depending on the new structure within your school and the likelhood of less TLRs, your level within the 'structure' may be altered.

Currently we have HT, DH, MA2, 3xMA1 (2 for extra-currilcular and coordiantor roles, one for early years coordinator), 4xMPS. In Sep 2006 there will be HT,DH,2xTLRs!

m

Marie

your head should have prepared with the governors a new pay structure. we confirm ours tomorrow. there is a very strict timeline and everybody has to be notified of how it will affect them. there will be no management points only tlrs 1 & 2.

That is so scary.... our HT has not discussed anything really with us at all. I presume he will have spoken to the person/persons getting the TLR but I do think that this whole staffing structure is so wrong to done like this.

Its causing a lot of distress everywhere, dougal, and is part of the new management pay structure.

As Im not currently in employment Im unsure of all the technicalities but your union should have details and there is info on teacherline.

Your HT is out of order. There were strict guidelines for the timetabling of the discussions of the new structure and consultation with staff, your Union Rep ( who should ahve been kept informed to feed back to you all) and then the Governing body. The new structure should all be decided by round about now and any future new roles sorted out. Management allowances are safeguarded For up to 3 years. This means that those on these points will be expected to carry out duties in line with their pay during that period. it they refuse then the MP will be removed.

Some staff will loose out especailly if they are going through Threshold and have a safeguarded management point, as threshold is £2000 and a management point around £1500, so when they go through they will only gain about £500 - unless of course they ae given a TLR.

Teachernet and the Union sites have all the info as it is hot topic at the moment.

I have nothing useful to add, except to say that TLR has been causing turmoil & upset in our school as well (although, thankfully I haven't been directly involved: only suffering from the atmosphere which you could cut with a knife!)

We are also a small school with 2MAs- this will become 1TLR.

However we have been told the only way to be awarded a TLR is if you carry a responsibility above and beyond that of a 'normal' teacher and the work os completed in your own time :oxD:(

The whole system is a mess-

As my Management point is only a yearly award it is not safeguarded (although I have now held it for 2.5 years)- so beware.

L

your right the whole thing is a mess! I have temporary management point so it is not pay protected - expected it to stop at end of December. This was one of the reasons I am leaving current job at end of term - but not the only reason. Found out today that in our school they have decided to protect the temporary points for at least another year. Good for some but too late for me!

I had management allowance 2 because we are in a small school and the head teacher is part time non teaching. One allowance is permanent but the other is temporary until we appoint a permanent head in 2007. I am going to get tlr 2 which is less than ma2 and it is going to be introduced in September when I will be moving up to UPS2. This will mean that my wage will go up slightly from what it was but not as much as it would have done if I was still receiving ma2 (hence the protected element). I do feel aggrieved as I have total responsibility for teaching and learning as well as for the two TA3's but I have no leg to stand on as only the permanent ma is protected.

I have told the HT that I am not happy as I feel if I deserve to move to UPS2 I should receive the benefit and not just have it to compensate for losing my MAs. She does not understand why as she says I am not going to lose any pay. I just feel I will be in real terms. I also feel that I am doing so much over and above what a usual nursery teacher in a state school would be required to do because the HT is non teaching and I am in charge for 50% of the time and my responsibility is specifically in the teaching and learning area. I just feel undervalued and no matter how much the HT says she appreciates all I am doing (as I have said before we have gone from special measures to being a potential flagship nursery for the county in one year) I think she should put her money where her mouth is.

i know it is not all about money. I love my job but all this has left a bit of a sour taste. I am sure there are others who will know how this feels.

Sue

Well...the next installment at our school is they have had a governors meeting to set the ball rolling for TLR's.... only 2 teachers have been privvy to this the rest of us have no idea what will happen to our management points... i have an unprotected temp management point. Watch this space......the staff room is a don't mention the TLR space as the head does not want us dicussing it!!!! I am waiting with abated breath for our next installment x

I am going to get tlr 2 which is less than ma2

44324[/snapback]

This is only because your school has chosen to pay TLR2 at a lower rate than MA2. The range for TLR2 is £2500 to £5500. My school is awarding TLR2 at two levels (although in reality it is only giving the lower level). The first level is at £3300-ish (equivalent to current MA2) and the second level (hypohetical) is £4800-ish [because there has to be a difference of at least £1500 between two levels of award within the same TLR spine.]