Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Few Random Questions!

Hiya - wondered if any of you could advise/help me with these questions I currently have swimming around my head;

Do any of you teach your Reception children what vowels/consonants are? If so how do you do it/explain easily?

Do you teach letter NAMES after SOUNDS are solid? I struggle with this especially as lower ability children get really confused? How do people do this successfully?

Are any of you familiar with the 'bossy consonant' idea of explaining split digraphs? If so can you explain further/point me to any further support with this.

Much appreciated thank u! :o

I introduce the letter name at the same time as the letter sound, but don't reinforce it until after the sounds are secure. In writing activities if the child identifies the sound they want to write I will refer to the letter name in my response e.g. "yes that's right te letter b" (does that make sense?).

There is a handy vowel rap "a e i o u , I know my vowels and so do you, a e i o u" which the children can learn if you are really keen.

I don't go into detail about what vowels are, but I have handwritten alphabet sheets for the children to refer to (to support their letter formation) and I put the vowels on in pink ink so they stand out. I find this helps with CVC words because when the children get stuck on the medial vowel I can say "it's one of the pink sounds" :D

Bossy consonants? No :D I think this is getting into the realms of KS1...

I have always used 2 different sets of letter cards and teach the children that the letters have a sound and a name. I have always taught the sounds first and then introduced the names with a different set of flash cards. We would look at all sounds and all names everyday once introduced using both sets of cards so that hopefully the children would remember the difference.

I have taught the children the 5 vowels and a rap similar to ASPK's. The ELS programme has one. I have introduced the terms vowels and consonants but have not laboured them although I have also told the children all words need a vowel and have written them in red for word building activities.

Thanks for that - the rap sounds like a good idea which I might introduce after Christmas when I spend more time on letter names alongside sounds. I've really sent this first term doing lots of stuff on the letter sounds only.

Yes Bossy consonants are KS1 - was thinking in advance for a couple of my children who are very able writers - so if anyone else can help with this would be v. grateful.

Emma x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)