Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ethical And Legal Frameworks In Early Years

Hi all,

i need to discuss and reflect (God I hate that word!) on the ethical and legal frameworks in early years and acknowledge differences in beliefs, practices and social environments of individuals and groups.

Anyone give me any suggestions on diversity in their schools?

Have done things such as inclusion for travelling children etc and celebrating festival such as Divali, but now getting bogged down.

thanks

Hi, 2 days 63 looks but no replies.

A heavy subject, me thinks.

I personally feel that to be inclusive we should acknowledge that we do have predjudices, stereotypical views and are also led into "tokenistic" behaviour when trying to meet the requirements of practicing an equal opportunities / inclusion policy.

For example, in our preschool we have a family who are practising muslims. My deputy suggested that we let this family know that we are celebrating christmas on the last day of term with a nativity play, her intention was to ensure that they were informed enough as to decide whether to let their son attend and to ensure they would not be offended if their child participates in what is a christian celebration. Another member of staff reminded her that previously this term we spent quite a long time celebrating Divali & Eid and did we contact all parents ( who we can only assume are christian) to ask if it was ok for their children to celebrate a different faith. Do you get the point I am trying to make. People of the same faith practice their faith in their own ways and we shouldn't assume that what we do is necessary exclusive or inclusive of anyone, we should get to know the families individually.

At this young age, I beleive that children should have access to all kinds of celebrations ( including halloween), and the most important thing is to communicate with parents, to gain knowledge and insight into their religious practices and cultural differences because if we don't we are not valuing everyone. I try not to make assumptions or act in a way that is informed by stereotypes, but If I am honest it is difficult because of the way I have been brought up. In our society basic things like financial status is judged. So on deeper issues such as religious or cultural beliefs all we can do is try to understand them to enable them to be acknowledged, affirmed and embraced.

ethical views and principles are vast, our tolerances, morality values and overall guiding principles vary between each and every individual.

Legal frameworks are in place from non discriminatory practice in employment, equality of opportunity laws, Human / Childrens rights and the Childrens Act. We do have a long way to go, for example does every child have access to childcare? Do all parents have equal choice - work or not- choice of schools, affordability of preschool etc.

I shall stop my ramble now, maybe a more specific question may get some more responses. It is such a broad subject, but one I find very interesting and certainly stimulates debate.

What have you written so far?

Peggy

Thankyou Peggy I was beginning to think I wouldn't get a reply.

I agree with all you have said .

I have written along similiar lines regarding assembly, such as Jehovas witnesses not taking part in them etc.

I am in my second year of the foundation degree and finding it difficult to fit in at the moment.

I will print off and digest your reply over a glass of red wine as

you have given me other ideas.

Thank you for your help it is really appreciated.

Glad I could help, and given you some food for thought, although I did feel I waffled a bit. I am currently enjoying mulled wine as a seasonal sanity saver, so cheers to you and keep at it :D , I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

Peggy

• 5 weeks later...

I finished an equal opps module back in September and I think that we all have become very aware of differences and try to understand them in the context of our work. However, as Peggy says this is not what equal ops is all about - it is and can be far more subtle than this and probably more important. Really made me look at my practice after I had finished it and I reflected on me, my team and the children in great depth - it was very thought provoking. You may well have finished this now but if you want any info I certainly have got piles of it - perhaps you could send me a personal email if you want any information

Nikki

Thanks for the offer Nicola, I have handed in assignments today.

As you say though it does make you look at your practice more.

I just hope if I mention studying again...someone will stop me!!!

thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)