Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception/year 1 Classes

As I search through the job pages and other forums I notice that there are an increasing number of schools asking for teachers of a year R/year 1 mixed class.

What does anyone here think about this?

Anyone here teach in one and how do you go about doing FS and NC stuff? I was tempted to go for such a job, but then decided against it, as I didn't think I'd be able to give the children what they deserved.

Just thought I'd ask what people thought or have experienced on this topic! :)

Hi Nichola, hope i can return the favour by giving you some helpful advice on this topic. I currently work voluntary in a mixed reception/Year 1 class and must say i'm not impressed!!

the main body of the class is year 1 with about 9 reception children. The reception children go and work with the main reception class in the morning where the reception teacher is supported by 2 classroom assistants. In the afternoon the reception children return to the year 1 classroom where work is set by the teacher but supervised by the classroom assistant. here the work is mainly creative/play. the year 1 teacher only brings the whole group together for perhaps discussion work and carpet time.

I personally view this (Don't quote me) as lack of funds and resources.

I believe that there shouldn't be a formal curriculum at five and so maybe it doesn't matter that the children are mainly with a classroom assisstant not a teacher, but this surely depends on how experienced and qualified the classroom assistant is!! What does anyone else think on this topic? :o

Hi I am a REception / Year 1 teacher. I have a majority of REception children and 4 Year 1's who hopefully will benefit from more time in a reception setting. I am lucky as another teacher takes my Year 1's and five from a parallel class for Literacy / Numeracy and Hist /Geog 4 mornings a week. It is difficult though other times as to mix Foundation Stage and NC is tricky and we are only just beginning now to do this. I guess it depends on the level of support in the school as to how it will work and of course the children! I think at the moment my Year ones are benefitting from the extra support of REception and mixing well with others, giving them more responsibility and feeling successful in their group, yet it is worrying to think they will have to be going into a Year 2 class next year and then be faced with SATs!

P.s think this is a great site to share ideas and concerns!

I've got to reply to this one to get post 100 up!

Welcome to the site, Sian.

I think you've both raised really intersesting and valid points about mixed Reception & yr1 classes.

Numbers on roll must surely play a part in the decision to do this as although I can see there could be benefits to some children in some circumstances but I'm certain that I wouldn't really want to go there.

I met a teaching head recently, however, who had a very very small school, Reception & yrs1 & 2 in her class and KS2 (I think) in the other. As she only had 18 children in the class perhaps it was manageable although not without some skill!

Susan

Thanks for your replies!

Last year when I was doing my NQT year we had 2 reception classes and a mixed year R/1 class. The mixed class had 6 year R children who spent a lot of time with us in the reception classes. They had a CA during the mornings, but in the afternoon it was just them with us or them back in their own class. Granted these were some of the oldest and more able children, but I just dont think it's right. I know it's often down to numbers and funding and stuff, but surely it's just not right for the children.

Ho humm, and by the way, I'm STILL on the lookout for a job, so anyone who knows of anything in the North West, give me a shout!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)