Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ta3's Covering Absence

Hi,

I work in a nursery school (I am the only teacher) with a part time head teacher and two TA3's. I was ill last week and my absence was covered by a teacher who comes in one day a week to cover my PPA and management time. However during the staff meeting the head said to the TA's that if I was ill for another day then they would have to cover the class. (We would be covered legally for numbers).

This didnt happen as I went back to work the next day but the question came up as to whether it is legal for TA3's to cover a nursery when there are no qualified teachers on the premises. Obviously in larger schools there is usually another teacher on site or the head teacher will be about in case of emergency but in our school the head teacher may have other commitments (she is the head of another school as well).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out the law in this area as I don't want to leave the children without appropriately qualified staff.

Thanks in advance

Sue

I think this has been the subject of much debate and is open to interpretation, I have never seen it written but believe it says a teacher with responsibility for the nursery, I don't believe it states that you must be present at all times. If your HT decides not to be on the premisis then he/she will be responsible if there are any accidents. I know in some schools the Deputy HT covers the nursery and just pops in and out. I don't agree with this, it under values the role of the teacher. It also takes advantage of the Nursery Nurses good will.

Do the TAs have an appropriate level 3 qualification in early years because if so I would think that you are covered. I have worked in nurseries where there isn't a qualified teacher in charge they are managed by a person suitably qualified e.g. NNEB. So as long as your nursery was left in the hands of suitably qualified early years staff and the ratio's were covered,at a guess I would say you would be ok because they would still be working within the guidelines of the national standards. I understand your concern though.

In a nursery with a teacher in charge the ratios are 1:12 but in a day care unit run by nursery nurses the ratio is different - not sure what it is - think it depends on the age of the children and the qualifications of the staff.

Hi

I work in a FS unit where nursery is funded for fulltime. We have only been a FS unit for a year and a half, the full time places have existed since 2001 (approximately). In the afternoon their is no teacher present but a post was funded by sure start (not sure of her exact job description). In the way that we work this does not matter and I assume that when there was not a unit it must have been Ok to have no designated teacher for nursery. However the headteacher is deemed as present (obviously deputy head but with PPA/ designated head teacher time/ courses/ sickness occassionally there is no senior member available (this has been addressed, not due to problems in FS stage but else where in school).

Lisa