Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys And Expressive Arts

Hello

I am doing an expressive arts module and have found while doing activities that the boys although interested and willing only stay and join in for a short while (4 mins on average) compared to the girls who will stay and join in for as long as it takes. The activities I have been doing for my assignment so far include general art and craft (painting, glue etc and drama). I'm trying to find out if this is a gender issue or have I just been unlucky. The children involved are aged 3-4 years.

I have found in my setting that the girls generally spend longer at a sitting down arty activity, but if we provide easels/chalkboards/whiteboards/large-scale chalking and painting on a hard surface outside, etc., then some of the boys spend just as long absorbed as the girls. Most boys really need to use their whole bodies when taking part in these type of creative activities. A favourite with many of our boys are creative activities with no end result other than perhaps some photographs, eg a builders tray covered in shaving foam (add beads, glitter, sequins, etc) or watery paint, or cornflour gloop etc for mark-making purposes.

:o Helen's point about boys using their whole body when involved in an activity is a valid one....as boys, on the whole are far better dancers and more experessive in their movements than girls. Girls are far more 'placed' and 'beautiful' in their movements and this begins long before they have access to ballet. (in my experience)

I have taught dance across the age groups and boys are great to work with. As they get older they get a lot more inhibited and parents' perception of boys and dance does little to assuage this. Give me boys any day of the week... They're great!