Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hall Pe Sessions

hi, just wondered how other reception teachers used their hall times...

am really just looking for inspiration for PE gym / dance activities....

i don't tend to get the children changed for hall times as it takes so long, they just take off shoes and socks, we have very limited PE equipment, and sometimes i am really struggling for ideas in this section

any ideas would be welcomed

Hello we use val sabin for our dance which is good, as for pe itself boring PE scheme used!!!! But according to the CGFS the physical is all intergrated with outdoor for gross motor etc and fine motor in creative etc I am getting very confused with the whole thing :oxD

Hi! I've got a class of 33 F2 children until January, and find it very hard to carry out PIPs and playing with sounds games in the classroom. I therefore used several of my Hall sessions to play games such as jump in the hoop and noisy letters. We sometimes do dance and we are suppose to follow the val sabrin scheme, but with 28 out of 33 children having EAL I find that it just goes over thier heads. I have therefore focused on things such as going on a trip, going swimming etc where the children have had to act out the scenario, which has also developed their language and listening skills. We have also had the bean bags and balls out and have done work moving them around our bodies in different ways, as well as balancing them on different parts of our bodies. However, I do firmly believe that the children get most of their PD from continous provision outside and often feel that going up stairs to the hall is a waste of time; especially when most of the time is taken up with taking off and put thier shoes back on again.

Until this year I have always followed the LEA PE scheme and children have changed clothes and shoes for sessions (taking up half the allocated hall time) This year we decided that most of the PD could take place outdoors either by continuous provision or by focused activities freeing the hall for other activities that require more space than the unit provides.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)