Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

M7

Guest TEEJ

Can you help? :)

I need to show my knowledge for M7 - KE5.

'PERIODS OF TIME FOR WHICH CHILDREN AT VARIOUS STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT ARE ABLE TO CONCENTRATE'.

I have looked at C11 and other units i have done for a chart and looked on the internet but all it brings up is to do with illnesses!

Hope you can help as need to finish this unit tonight. :o

Thanks,

TEEJ

This is difficult for me to reply because I don't know the context of M7- KE5, and what it includes.

Do you need to define the term "Concentrate" first.

I remember and follow the adage that childrens concentration span is about 1 minute per year of life, don't know where it came from but in my experience makes sense.

Different situations will affect concentration, the type of activity, linked to childs developmental ability and interests. Could you give examples of these that you have noticed in your practice?

Have you done C16 yet? maybe some of your observations can be evaluated to evidence and show different concentration spans, in different age ranges, developmental areas and contexts of play.

hope this helps, unable to give an actual answer because your NVQ is relevant to your experience.

Peggy

TEEJ, I thought C5 was the unit that deals with attention span. Have you done that one yet?

Yes, I've heard the maxim about one minute of concenration for each year of age, but I think it sells children short. Elinor Goldscmied in 'People under Three' talks about babies with treasure baskets staying on task for about an hour. I certainly know of children I work with who can concentrate for 40 minutes+ As Peggy so rightly says, it so much depends on the context, the activity, the external factors like distractions etc.

There might be a chart in Mary Sheridan's book. You could also look at the Leuven Scale of Involvement as used by Pascal & Bertram I think - it should come up in a search.

I hope that's some help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)