Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doubling And Halving

off the top of my head, cooking activities, measuring quantity of ingredients. playdough recipes lend themselves to this equal measures of salt and flour but half the quantity of water.

also pizza's, once made can be cut into half, quarters etc.

how about mixing powder paints to make the colour grey..observe the difference in result if you have one spoon of white powder add one spoon of black powder. then try again but double the amount of white powder to black - compare the different tones.

Peggy

off the top of my head, cooking activities, measuring quantity of ingredients. playdough recipes lend themselves to this equal measures of salt and flour but half the quantity of water.

also pizza's, once made can be cut into half, quarters etc.

how about mixing powder paints to make the colour grey..observe the difference in result if you have one spoon of white powder add one spoon of black powder. then try again but double the amount of white powder to black - compare the different tones.

Peggy

43563[/snapback]

I did fractions with my Y2s the year before last & used cup cakes. This proved really useful for drumming the information in (they couldn't eat their cake until they had cut it in half & then quarters & explained what they were doing correctly), but I'm not sure doubling would work so well!

You could play maths board games which involve dice, but instead of moving pieces the number of places shown on the die, the children have to move double the number of places. You could adapt a die so that this work with halving aswell, but half of 3 doesn't really work.

In Reception, Ive used a ladybird shape and a dice to put spots on one side and then doubled them! Might help your yr1s and LA yr 2s? I would probably start halving by putting objects into 2 sets, so ladybird shape again?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)