Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Production

Hi

I have to organise a dance for my class to perform in our christmas production : very new to this, panic is about to set in!

Any ideas ? Advice so far has been keep it simple, which I intend to do but still don't know where to start.

Tia :unsure:

Hi Tia, Welcome to the forum with your first post. :D

Thinking off the top of my head right now, I can only suggest;

A) a simple folk dance ( although not very christmassy) or

:o what if the children pretend to be jack frost or snowflakes and dance to suitable music waving white glittery christmassy ribbons, or

C) can you link / make up a dance to go / re-enact a popular christmas song that they know.

good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Peggy

Don't panic Tia it will be fine. From my experience I would say most children will just 'dance' any which way given a chance and some music.

Some possible ideas:

1. How about keeping it really simple by having half the children 'freeze' in some position (may be even crouched down) while the other half 'dance' around them, then swap .

2. Get the children to hold hands in a circle or circles and dance around.

3. Just asking them to change levels, speed & direction can make a dance.

4. 'freezing' the whole the group and then starting again can look quite effective or getting them to join the dance one by one etc

Any use?

Also once they are in some sort of simple costume - may be all black/dark and holding ribbons or pom poms or wands to move around can help the children to move and look quite good.

This may depend on what your production is, but I have seen Y1s as various toys dancing to some very familiar music, but I can't remember what it is. They all did the action of the toy; so there was a soldier marching, a little drummer drummering :) & I can't actually remember what else.

Stars or snowflakes are always nice simply twirling around, & this allows for the children's own input.

Also seen Y2s doing a snowman dance - once again, I can't remember the music, but it sounded kind of snowy if you know what I mean. They skipped round in a circle & back again, in a folky sort of fashion.

Good luck!

I'm sure it will be fine.

Aled Jones, "Walking in the Air" from the story "The Snowman" would be a lovely piece of music to dance / fly around to. maybe dress some of the children as snowmen and some as the boy. They all end up at the Santa party. Actually, I've just remembered when I bought the book a few years ago it had a CD with it with the story and interactive games for the computor - the last game was snowmen doing a dance, a sequence of movements that the children could easily follow. unfortunately I don't know if the CD is still available, maybe try amazon.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)