Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EAL

I have a new child that has just landed, as they do, in FS2 with me. His older brother is in year 4. Both boys were born here but have only their school experience to support their English Language development. Mum has been here for 10 years. She speaks English but in a limited way but I still want her to support both boys at home... I might be able to get some bilingual books but unless he is PP I will struggle to find enough money for books for a years supply!

What can I realistically and respectfully ask mum to be doing (that's if she is willing ) to support him in his learning...

we had a polish girl start with us this year with little english. her brother was in nursery several years ago and mum spoke english at home to help him, but doesn't want to with his sister as she felt he lost his cultural identity. i understand where she is coming from completely, as i'd feel the same if i moved to france...... having said this she is very able and is picking up the language really well :rolleyes: and her speech is better than several of our speech and language delay children ...... she is now teaching our group how to count in polish, and will sing polish songs, which our children find fascinating. so much learning for everyone :wub:

Edited by sooty99

It is really important that they continue to speak their first language at home as this supports their language development in both languages. I have had 2 polish children who spoke no English but by the end of the year they were speaking. We found different ways of them communicating their ideas - pictures, signs, help cards etc with everything supported by consistent phrases where everybody used the same phrases. They are likely to pick up the knew language quickly especially understanding but it may take them longer to speak.

Topic work is good For EAL as they hear the vocabulary over a period of time.

Hope that helps,

Green Hippo x

I use Google translate to change learning log tasks into different languages and just stick the printout next to the English task heading.

We have a few dual language books and these have been useful for home library work, but I have also directed parents to the local library as they have a good supply.

Sometimes parents come into school for a few minutes when they drop-off children, and I use that time to show them pictures I am using to introduce a new topic - again Google translate on hand is useful, so I have my laptop fired up and ready - some parents have a translate program on their phones, so we have conversations that way, them typing into the phone, me into the laptop- it's fun!

As long as there is an understanding of what the learning you are covering is, then Mum can support conceptual understanding in home language.

Parents are great at sharing cultures and traditions, especially around festival times, so I ask them in to show and tell - and sometimes cook - with us. Once they get involved there's no stopping them sometimes!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)