Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Groups In Reception

Hi,

I have not yet grouped my children and tend to call them for activities when I see they are not engrossed in another activity. However, I am beginning to feel groups may be a better way of organising things.

Has everyone else grouped their chn? If so, do you have different groups for literacy, numeracy and also foundation type subjects?

I'm also worried that I am being to informal as apart from the groups working with an adult the remaining chn are allowed to free play. Is this ok or should I be directing them more?

Can you guess I'm an NQT! :o

Hi Matilda,

I haven't grouped my children either, but will be doing so for numeracy and literacy when they all become full time (after Christmas).

I also tend to let the children free play unless they are working in a focus group, though I might occasionally direct particular children to certain activities - either if they are not appropriately engaged in an activity or if there is a particular game/ experience that I want the children to try.

We have a lot of fun :D

Hi,

I have not yet grouped my children and tend to call them for activities when I see they are not engrossed in another activity.  However, I am beginning to feel groups may be a better way of organising things. 

Has everyone else grouped their chn?  If so, do you have different groups for literacy, numeracy and also foundation type subjects?

I'm also worried that I am being to informal as apart from the groups working with an adult the remaining chn are allowed to free play.  Is this ok or should I be directing them more?

Can you guess I'm an NQT!  :o

43349[/snapback]

hi,

I have grouped children- at the mo they are similar for maths and eng so they are in shape groups. I use these during numeracy / literacy adult led activities in order to differentiate and meet all needs. Depending on the task though i may work 1:1 , pairs or the whole ability group.(shape) Otherwise I call children over mixed groupings to carry out the focus activity. During this time the rest of the class are free - a floating adult is there for support / direction if necessary.

hope it helps.

steph.

Hi,

I have not yet grouped my children and tend to call them for activities when I see they are not engrossed in another activity.  However, I am beginning to feel groups may be a better way of organising things. 

Has everyone else grouped their chn?  If so, do you have different groups for literacy, numeracy and also foundation type subjects?

I'm also worried that I am being to informal as apart from the groups working with an adult the remaining chn are allowed to free play.  Is this ok or should I be directing them more?

43349[/snapback]

Hi my 17 reception children are divided into 3 groups for literacy and numeracy at the moment these are the same but that will change over the year. I try to work with 2 groups in one session but those children not working with an adult usually have free choice of activities although occasionally they have an adult directed task to complete independently.

Hi,

43349[/snapback]

I will be grouping my children for literacy and numeracy but not for other curriculum areas. Children may not be in the same groups for both literacy and numeracy or for guided reading.

I dont think you should be worried about allowing the children to work independently as long as the play has a focus.

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to hold off until Christmas is out of the way first. Seems like it has crept up on me - araghh! I shall then group them in ability groups for lit and numeracy and then continue to call the chn as I have been doing in the afternoons.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)