Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting - Joined Up

just wondered what others do in their school - last year my school implemented joined up handwriting from foundation stage to ks2, this means that when we teach letter formation we have to teach always from the line and the lead in strokes and the lead out.... I can see the benefits for later on, but sometimes, particularly with children who have very poor fine motor skills it seems like another hurdle for them....

Also, we have to use the style when writing in the childrens books / work, this takes ages as we are using the correct letter formation but not joining up because the children are not joining.......

i don't know whether what i am doing is right or wrong, but would welcome suggestions..

Don't worry this happened in our school three years ago, and now our year 2 my son included have the most beautiful joined up and legible writing you could wish for. Even children in his class in reception who had poor fine motor skills are writing well and as they were exposed to all types of text have no problems.

so good luck and keep us posted

Edited by Guest

Our local school has same policy and apparently it is to do with research showing it helps later spelling???

I agree with how hard it is to do as an adult tho!! The spaces between letters when you want to naturally join are infuriating!

I'm encouraged by Mrs B's comment tho!

Funny isn't it how children are so different. My son had the most beautiful hand writing when he started school and up until Year 3-I often mistake his early work for my daughter's. But once he had to start on joined up handwriting it all went pear shaped. He has the most appauling handwriting now and he is not at all confident when writing by hand-and he is 23!

Linda

Like Mrs B, my boys were taught cursive "printing" in reception and they both have nice handwriting now, but they were exposed to hours of handwriting practice :o

We used to teach cursive writing in Reception, but the children found it really hard so as a school we have formulated our own handwiting policy - we teach Jolly Phonics style printing in Reception, leading into cursive writing as and when we feel the children are ready (but in any case in Year 1). The children develop lovely handwriting :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)