Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Procedural Help

I was hoping you guys could lend a hand. An incident has occurred at work which has resulted in my Head saying that the way he now needs to deal with it on my behalf is to have a meeting with myself, the person involved (SMT) and himself, to discuss issues we've already spoken about, but so that he is a part of them - and probably so he can make official notes etc etc.

I'm really nervous but I know it is the only way forward. Things have got to change, for my sanity, as well as for me to conitue working where I am.

What I was hoping is whether anyone can give me any guidance as to how to prepare for somthing like this. I know I really should have some notes of issues I want to cover - without waffling or crying (!), but I just was hoping that some of you would be able to give me an insight into the procedures??

Thanks in advance

x

Hi

Really sorry I can't offer the advice you are looking for but just wanted to say hang on in there and my fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Your idea of notes is a good one, I would make a list of issues when you have a clear head and look on the meeting as being a positive opportunity to 'get things sorted' and move forward.

Let us know how it goes am hopefully someone far more experienced than me will be along shortly with some words of wisdom

If I were you I would go through my concerns and make the notes you talked about. Think about what happened and what people did. Comment on what you did and think about what you could have done, if it was different and think about what you would like to happen. If you think someone ie SMT is not being helpful try to be very specific about your concerns and talk about ways you could or would like to be supported. Its very difficult without knowing more details but as a memeber of SMT I really hope I am more approachable. Good luck.

PS If you feel at all threatened say that and say you dont feel able to continue without some support, that could be another member of staff or a union person. You take care.

Your first paragraph says "an incident has occurred" and the head is calling the meeting "on your behalf"

Not knowing all the details;

1. The focus of the meeting will / should start with the "incident". If this issue is resolved and this meeting is the "right timing" you should only then raise any other issues.

2. The head is calling the meeting "on your behalf" not necessarily on your side but is acknowledging that you need the issue resolved, so this is a good positive attitude towards you.

Can you talk to the head to find out what the "full agenda" for the meeting will be, will it only be about the "incident" or will there be an opportunity to bring up other matters. Will there be any surprises that you are not prepared for at the meeting, if you think there will be try and prepare for these.

I also agree that you should stop the meeting if you feel threatened or uncomfortable and ask to have a representative / support person with you. I don't understand the policy/practice of your schools grievance procedure or even who an SMT is, so my comments are only in the context of "having a meeting".

I am sorry that you are having to go through this experience, however it is always best to talk things through and all aim to resolve disputes / conflict / practice and principles and find a mutual resolution and goals to all work together toward. Although I can't be with you physically (obviously) My thoughts are with you and I hope your problems are resolved with a "win / win" situation for everybody.

Peggy

Peggy,

SMT is Senior Management Team.

Gater,

I think you are entitled to have someone in with you as support regardless of whether or not the meeting is getting too much. Check this out because I think just having someone there to support you will be helpful - even if they don't end up contributing to the conversation. Also, it's an impartial person to remember everything that was said and how it was said so that after the meeting you can discuss this. This person doesn't necessarily have to be a friend colleague, but should be someone appropriate, perhaps depending on what the incident relates to, so perhaps someone else from the early years team; FS coordinator maybe? All of this will obviously depend on the appropriateness.

Personally, when I was having issues with my NN, it was decided to have a meeting with me, NN & head to discuss issues. Unbeknown to me, NN had asked the secretary to sit in as support for her (I hadn't been aware of taking in support :o , but personally didn't feel it necessary anyway), but the Head changed the 'extra person' to the FS coordinator, as NN & secretary were very pally & FSC was deemed more appropriate, as someone to be there for both of us (Ha!). Just something for you to bear in mind really, but I would advise you to have someone in with you, & request a break if it gets too much.

Hang in there, & let us know how you get on. When's the meeting? I'm sure we'll all be thinking of you! :)

I agree that you should have some support as the HT is also part of the SMT and therefore not impartial. Are you a member of a union, as an NUT member I have found them VERY supportive and they will give you advice and attend meetings with you.

You can get some information from the ACAS site on grievance procedures.

Be Strong and stand up for your self.

The grievance is with the FS co (mainly), but also with the other assistant head, and although the Head is impartial, I do know he is very supportive towards me. He understands the issues that are being raised and although I am not the only one that is raising them, I am the main one because unfortunately I share a room with the FS co.

Ofsted described our school as having an unwielding senior management team and although the new head's proposed remodelling structure will hopefully dilute this, it is immediate concerns that cause the most discomfort.

Issues have been long lasting, but previous head had no weight as far as taking on the SMT. This new head has provided whole staff with empowerment and basically are no longer taking intimidation and bullying - as that is what it is. I'm not one for confrontation, but I was pushed to my limits this week and fortunately for me they made a mistake - and that was publically bitching about myself and other members of staff in the staffroom, which was reported back to myself.

It did result in me confronting my fs co about these incidents - and then the head asked me about them later on as he had found out too. It now means that because the FS co knows that I know (!), things can be moved on - as heads hands have been tied in past because of how things have happened.

I hadn't thought of taking in a representative in with me - I will seriously consider that option - if anything else, it may be simply to hold my hand! I've only been teaching a couple of years and teaching is hard enough without all this to contend with too.

I do appreciate your support and guidance - you help me see things in a clearer perspective as you all are very neutral to the situation.

Thanks again in advance for any guiding insights!

Gater, thinking of you and hoping things go ok, but would definitely advise thta you at least consult your union and put thme in the picture.

You may not have a school rep or be unable to talk to them about this although thye shouldbe impartial but you can consult your field rep and sound them out.

I cant imagine that there wont be a note taker but you are entitled to have a "friend" to do this on your behalf.

Good luck and take care.

Hi Gater, sorry to hear of your problems, I can sympathise, I think having a union rep is a good idea, also how about ringing your rep and asking for advice? I have always found them very helpful, even a phone conversation would be ok.

Good luck

Abi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)