Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Scrutiny

Next week the SMT will be doing a book scrutiny - does anyone have a proforma or ideas they would be willing to share with regards to looking at books (i.e. learning journeys) - we currently have the following points on our proforma:

related to L.O.

constructive responses - next steps for learning

communicated in a form understood by the child

self-evaluation by child/peer marking

rewards

balance of children's own work, written obs and photos

support identified/or independent

supply indicated

evidence annotated and labelled as either teacher directed or child initiated

areas for development/general comments

I would REALLY appreciate any comments!

gosh... that looks very comprehensive and a bit daunting! sorry no comments to add other than I am so glad we don't have this in our setting! Best keep this quiet otherwise our SMT will be wanting to do it!

This will be the first time for me - so I am looking through my LJs right now - 1 of each is needed for HA/MA/LA :blink: ! I am able to make reasonable adjustments to the pro-forma, but am hoping that someone who has experience can give me some advice about what criteria to use during the book scrutiny.

Wow!

We don't have a proforma as such but each piece of evidence in a learning journey must be dated and initialled, and annotated with appropriate comments linking whatever it is showing to the developmental matters.

A next step is required and often is worked on straight away, especially if it's something like letter formation. We use a differently coloured pen for this to make it clear.

What is on your school marking policy? We make sure we follow that.

Good luck with the scrutiny.

Wow!

We don't have a proforma as such but each piece of evidence in a learning journey must be dated and initialled, and annotated with appropriate comments linking whatever it is showing to the developmental matters.

A next step is required and often is worked on straight away, especially if it's something like letter formation. We use a differently coloured pen for this to make it clear.

What is on your school marking policy? We make sure we follow that.

Good luck with the scrutiny.

Thank you! Yes, I will look at the school marking policy. Yes, everything is annotated with links to DM and CoEL (where appropriate) - next steps are usually, but not always, added.

Looking at the statements on the proforma - evidence of learning in the LJ does not always have an 'objective' as it is often CI play but will show where they are in their learning.

Thanks again

We are not included in book scrutiny at our school either but the head and EYFS leader has a Tapestry account so they can have a look at any time.

You are scaring me with your next steps! We don't write next steps on each observation - we only do this at the beginning and end of each child's focus week. We will often do something spontaneous or the following day following an observation and this is written on a form each week. Otherwise, our knowledge of the children feeds into weekly and medium term planning.

I hope we're doing enough but I can't imagine the look on my TAs' faces if I asked them to add next steps as well!!!

Your list is great and your learning journals must be extremely comprehensive to show all that!

Eeeek! xxx

We are not included in book scrutiny at our school either but the head and EYFS leader has a Tapestry account so they can have a look at any time.

You are scaring me with your next steps! We don't write next steps on each observation - we only do this at the beginning and end of each child's focus week. We will often do something spontaneous or the following day following an observation and this is written on a form each week. Otherwise, our knowledge of the children feeds into weekly and medium term planning.

I hope we're doing enough but I can't imagine the look on my TAs' faces if I asked them to add next steps as well!!!

Your list is great and your learning journals must be extremely comprehensive to show all that!

Eeeek! xxx

But they are not - that is the problem! Next steps are not always added - but it has been included on the proforma as something we need to look at, so now I worry that they will be expected on every observation. The list is not mine - it has been given to me by the deputy head/foundation leader. Eeeek - too right!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)