Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fine motor skills as 'I can...' Target

Hi,

I'm in the process of writing Autumn Term Reports/Next steps.

The majority of our children need to develop their fine motor skills but I'm struggling to write this as an 'I can...' next step.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I can hold a pencil and make marks.

I can use a tripod grip.

I can copy/write my name.

I can hold scissors. I can snip. I can follow a line.

Probably needs refining but make your targets small, identifiable and achievable----think of the fine motor skills that are easily attainable that you can make provision for.

• Like 2

Tinkerbell: we are trying an idea from Alistair Bryce-Clegg - pictures of different pencil grips on a ladder with children's photo next to how they hold their mark-makers. We will them move picture with child as grip is refined.

Similarly with scissors, this also reminds children to use left/right hand appropriate tools.

This just helps to make it visual for pre-readers.

Sooty: C and L next steps are really tricky I find because they are so interlinked. This half-term we focus heavily on listening skills especially as many children are needing to adapt to being in a bigger group than they are used to, so

I can look at the person who is talking to me.

I can respond to what is said to me.

I can tell someone else what has been said to me.

I can have a conversation while doing something else.

I can follow 1-step (2-step, complex) instructions.

I can listen to a story with an adult/ with a group of children/ with the whole class.

It's just such a huge area by itself!

Tinkerbell: we are trying an idea from Alistair Bryce-Clegg - pictures of different pencil grips on a ladder with children's photo next to how they hold their mark-makers. We will them move picture with child as grip is refined.

Similarly with scissors, this also reminds children to use left/right hand appropriate tools.

This just helps to make it visual for pre-readers.

Sooty: C and L next steps are really tricky I find because they are so interlinked. This half-term we focus heavily on listening skills especially as many children are needing to adapt to being in a bigger group than they are used to, so

I can look at the person who is talking to me.

I can respond to what is said to me.

I can tell someone else what has been said to me.

I can have a conversation while doing something else.

I can follow 1-step (2-step, complex) instructions.

I can listen to a story with an adult/ with a group of children/ with the whole class.

It's just such a huge area by itself!

we use the ABC pictures with children's names written on, and children move from picture to picture as they refine their hold, and get a 'wow' when they move to next one. photos would be better, but we have limited wall space. we started this year, and i hope parents will look at it and take note. we'll mention it at parents meetings too as their next step will come from this!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)