Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

De Bono's Hats

Do any of you use De Bono's hats in a Nursery setting? We are introducing them throughout the school and I would be grateful for anybody's advice/experiences with young children.

Do any of you use De Bono's hats in a Nursery setting? We are introducing them throughout the school and I would be grateful for anybody's advice/experiences with young children.

42787[/snapback]

Hi

This is the first time I have made a post so please be gentle with me!

I have successfully introduced De bono's six hats for thinking in my previous school and am now gradually beginning to introduce in my new school (brand new which opened in September 2005 - very very exciting!).

In both schools our youngest children were Reception. The hats work fantastically and really tune the children into different types of thinking.

This week we have been focussing on the story of Cloudland By John Burningham - which is fabulous for stimulating the imagination!

Using the hats (visual pics and hats displayed with diff. activitites)

* Yellow Hat - What would be the best thing about living in cloudland?

Lot's of great ideas here - using clouds as slides, spying down on people, having a fluffy cloud bed...

Painting pics * making cotton wool cloud pics to show!

* Red Hat - How would you feel?

Again great lang. excited, worried in case I feel!!

Introduce the hats one at a time - we've made big collage hats as we've introduced each one - building up a great display!

Model using the language lots and lots yourself. In all situations i.e. I'm wearing my purple (or black hat depends how your school view it!) and I can see that we could trip over the logs near the door.

I could go on forever!! I've done a huge amount of work on De bono's hat from ages Rec- Year 4.

Good luck introducing them - they really are fabulous.

Let me know how it goes!

Ruby it sounds fascinating have you more info... e.g what its all about, how to get started, how to use etc. I'm really intrigued. Just loked up the man himself on his official website but I got confused :o i'm sure that a real teacher using it in a real context can do it better xD I'm in reception

I am actually attending a meeting on De Bono's hats this week and how to implement them into Reception (and eventually the whole school).

How exactly did you implement them? Do you physically put on the hats or do you get the children to pretend? Any suggestions please?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)