Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gifted Reader

Hi

I have a summer born child entering reception in September who is confidently reading. Books in our scheme that meet the child's required level of challenge are no longer picture books but early chapter books. The child is still very young and wants picture books. So I was wondering if anybody had a list picture books for gifted and talented young readers. I remember years ago having one from penguin books with titles like Dinosaurs and all that rubbish which gave rise to lots of discussion and comprehension. (however now ant find it!)

Any suggestions greatly received.

Thank you

Guest tinkerbell

I had a couple of boys reading when they started Reception last year and they enjoyed all the picture books in class..To give them a book for reading at home I tried them on green /blue banana books.They are little books which have chapters and the content is suitable for young children.I would also let them choose a non fiction book from Oxford reading tree scheme.I gave the parents pointers in asking questions about the books because we needed to know they were understanding what they were reading .

I have a similar child who has entered my class reading already. In my few years in Reception, this is the first time I have had a confident reader in September. I was wondering what other people do in terms of phonics teaching for children who know all their letter sounds already like this child does? I usually send home a sound book with the sound that we have learnt that day for children to practice at home, and then words/tricky words when the children are ready, as well as reading books when the children are ready. Has anybody got any other ideas for things I could do/send home for this child? Thank you in advance!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)