Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Informing Parents About Head Injuries

I need some help, please!

In the dim and distant past (before I needed to know these things), I was vaguely aware of a "head injury" information card that could be given to parents/carers if the child had a mishap in the setting. Basically, it had space for the setting to say "..... happened to your child today." It then went on to say something along the lines of: "We did not think that this was a serious injury and your child has not been unwell since this happened. However, in any cases of head injury, you should get a doctor's advice if ...... and so on".

Do any of you use these? What do they actually say? Where can I get them?

Thanks in advance.

Diane

Hi Diane.

WE have, what we call, a 'bump' note. And it basically says that your child had...................happen to them today, what kind of first aid was administered - if any and signed and dated by the first aider. This then goes home with the child after school.

At my sons nursery, I have to sign an accident sheet - they tell us what has happened, what they've done and I sign it to say it's been reported to me.

Does this help?

Hi

We also use accident sheets (think they are PLA ones but not sure) it does not say anything about what to look out for just what happened, when where and how, time and treatment given. Parents sign the form on collection.

I like the idea of what you are talking about and it sounds similar to the information given out by casualty depts - signs to look out for following head injury.

I would be tempted to nip into casualy and ask/ help yourself to one and then make up your own for preschool

We too have a 'bump letter' which is sent home just saying that the child has sustained a head injury and that they have been observed but if parent is concerned to contact doctor' or something along those lines.

I can get actual wording from school if u wish.

Mx

WHen I was in nursery, we had an accident book for bumps and cuts etc and in addition we had a 'bump note' for bumped heads. It contained information as stated by other posters and parents were given a copy and nursery kept a duplicate. THe parents signed the accident book to say that they had been informed.

The bump note had a section on it where staff could circle what advice had been given i.e. recommend medical help, and we then asked the parents the next time that the child was in to add to the original bump note if they had sought medical help i.e. doctor, A&E or not and sign and date it.

THis was just in case they came back the following week and try to claim that there was something wrong with their child or worst case, they got admitted to hospital with head trauma. At least we had covered ourselves to say that we had recommended medical help and parents had chosen not to seek it.

A bit extreme perhaps, but we didn't fancy being on the front of the local paper being charged with neglect.

2 of my staff did their 1st aid this weekend and the advice from them was to have a "bump to head" advice sheet for parents, like the ones from casualty. I have delegated the job of writing one up to my manager. Will share when it is done.

Maybe a call to NHS direct may be able to give advice or a google search may come up with something.

I think this is important ( and I am cross with myself for not getting one done sooner) a while ago one of the children was accidently kicked in the head by a child wearing trainers, no visible mark, recovered well but then went a bit quiet, ( it happened 10 mins before home time) informed mum and on her journey home in the car he threw up, she diverted to the doctors and he was found to have concussion :o .

Peggy

Thanks all for your responses.

Thanks, too, Peggy, for your offer to share what the future results of your setting's work on this front. Gratefully accepted!

Incidentally, I got nothing from a google search. I plan to visit my own GP's practice. If that fails to come up with anything useful, I will try NHS Direct, and I will drop in to casualty next time I have occasion to visit a hospital (good suggestion Geraldine - thanks!).

If I come up with anything before Peggy does, I'll post it here.

Best wishes to all,

Diane

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)