Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Promoting Writing Skills In The Foundation Stage

Hi there you lovely helpful people,

Please could someone help me. :o

I am doing my research project on promoting writing skillls in the nursery.Can someone please help me with my literature review-what theorists are there tohelp me with my project.Off course i know about Vygotsky and piaget but who else?

Thank you xD

Hello Louise

Our Rec teacher has recently completed some research into boys writing (in Reception) and found that by taking it outside there was a dramatic improvement in their attitude and achievement. She provided clipboards, pens, odd bits of paper, chalk etc, and encouraged/let them write about what they were making and doing. It was phenominal stuff and brought about a complete change in these reluctant writers within about 4 weeks. Have you had a look at the Developing Early Writing material?

Love J

Hi again Louise,

I went on a course today 'Birth to 3 really matters' and was told that the CD that comes with the BTTM pack has loads of information on it, including stuff about developing early literacy including what the theorists have to say about it. Haven't looked at it myself but it may be of use to you.

Love J

Are you looking at the angle of handwriting, or writing for a purpose?

If it's the latter, what about Carol Fox 'At the Very Edge of the Forest' and anything by V.G. Paley if you're looking at how children form stories, or Glenda ? Bissex 'Gynys at Work' about children's invented spellings?

Helping Children to write by Ann Browne is good - I used it on my degree course.

I don't want to lose it completely but am willing to lend you my copy - send me a message if you would like to borrow it.

Tracey

Thank you so much for replying to me so promptly.Im sorry i haven't got back to you before now, but i have been ill.

J. i might seem a bit dopey but what is the BTTM pack that you mentioned? What do those initials stand for?

Thank you Pandemonium, for offering to lend me your book.That was really sweet of you, but it's o.k i have some books that i have to plough through from the library. I guess what i am trying to really find out who was it that decided the modern day thinking into teaching pre-writing skills,such as big movements being a precusor to small movements(if you get my drift!!!!!)

When i was a child i learnt just by copying.

Anyway thanks for listening your a great bunch of internet friends.

Louise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)