Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enviroment Help

I am an NQT in a Reception class that I love, however since I have started I have come across quite a few things that I am not happy with (As i am sure does everybody)my mentor has been really good at helping me with these however as she is the fs co-ordinator I dont want to moan too much as it seems I am critising her and some of them she can do nothing about.

My major concern is that my children have no outdoor classroom except for 20min once a week in the nursery garden. there is no room for one in the school but i find this really distressing.

Also the other fs teachers are set in their ways and will not change anything. the children spend really long periods of time on the carpet and only about an hour and a half a day in free play which I do not feel is properly facilitated. I keep planning exciting activities but the other staff cant be bothered putting them in practice. the resources for independent play are there as well (like material for DT) but the children arent allowed to use them without an adult in case they make a mess (I thought thats what fs kids do!)

I dont mean to moan coz the staff are lovely but they are set in the routine of the practice,and lots that the school does is really good and achieves really high results but i just need some ideas how to put more of my ideas foreward or what to do about it!

Am I understanding this correctly? Your children only play outside during set playtimes, lunch times & for 20 mins a week in the nursery garden?

Are there no opportunities for an adult to take them out to the school playground for supervised play if there is not an outdoor area attached to your classroom?

I am in a nursery setting, so it's slightly different I know, but my children get at least an hour and a quarter per session (so only half a day) in free play. The reception class I did a terms placement in during my training year allowed around double the amount of time your children get in free play . Although, structured adult-led activities were included in this time, thus one group may be involved with an adult for a lot of that time, before being allowed to go and choose, but they would've had a whole session of free-play during the other half of the day, & the next day they may not be involved with an adult at all. (Hope that makes sense! :o )

At the end of the day, you're the boss in your classroom. My mentor was brilliant and always told me to have a go at things to see if they work, e.g. changing the time-table, or moving the classroom around. I would hope that your mentor would see any attempt to make changes as you being enthusiastic & wanting the best for your children. You should present it (if this is necessary) as wanting to try something new, & Hey! if it doesn't work I can always change it back again or change it to something else.

Difficult though it is, perhaps you need to have a meeting with the staff you work with (if you haven't already) to lay your cards on the table. I'm guessing you only started there in September? so as far as they're concerned, you've had your settling in period, so you can come at it from the angle of having had time to see how things and people work in reception and having had time to think of some ways of making changes. And of course you can always tell them that you appreciate their experience and would welcome there input in making changes, so they don't feel cut out of the loop. Then, if they choose not to have input, they can't really complain about it. (I think it was Sue R who gave me very similar advice last year, so not really my wise words!)

Not sure if this was any help at all, but you can't go on feeling like you're making do in your own classroom. Bite the bullet and do something, and let us know how you get on!

Good luck! :)

Your right about the outdoor play. I thought about taking them to the playground but my idea was knocked back saying that there wasnt enought adults.

Maybe i should mention that the reception is made up of 3 classess and 90 children therefore i am not the only teacher (and the least experienced) my mentor does want me to trail ideas but its the other teachers.

Your right about the outdoor play.  I thought about taking them to the playground but my idea was knocked back saying that there wasnt enought adults.

42560[/snapback]

But surely you would have the same staff:pupil ratio in your outside classroom (if you had one)? We have one teacher and one TA per Reception class, which seems to be standard!

If the problem is partly the size of the playground then I would have thought it's just a case of setting boundaries first. It sounds like a case of resisting change :o Stick to your guns!

Our ratio does sound about the same 3 teachers 3 nursery nurses and a special needs assistant. i think you may be right, it would need more setting up though wouldnt it to use the playground and they wouldnt like that, like the other things i try to implement. Maybe i will tackle the playground issue again with them. Or put it to the co-ordinator to see if i can get her onside.

Our ratio does sound about the same 3 teachers 3 nursery nurses and a special needs assistant.  i think you may be right, it would need more setting up though wouldnt it to use the playground and they wouldnt like that, like the other things i try to implement.  Maybe i will tackle the playground issue again with them.  Or put it to the co-ordinator to see if i can get her onside.

42565[/snapback]

Jump in with both feet and lead by example. Try your ideas: see how you can develop the planning,that I presume you do with other members of the team, and incorporate the activities and approaches that you believe are important for FS. Then, if all goes well, you could then share these in your planning meetings, oosing loads of enthusiasm at the same time. Others catch on eventually! (I've just got the Year 1 teachers to plan a mini theme with us by showing oodles of enthusiasm).

Also think about letting groups of children go out and play lots of circle games and games for listening: small groups coould go with a Nursery Nurse maybe?

Mel C

:o

Ooh, difficult one! What about using the Curriuculum Guidance and accepted best practice as a basis for trying to change things? Surely, if you had an Ofsted or an Early Years advisor was to pop in they would be horrified (I should think) that your Reception Class only get 20 mins PER WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! outside. Is this the same for the other 2 classes? And that they sit for long periods on the carpet. As an NQT I can see that this is really difficult for you. If I was you I would write down or log your worries somewhere - it might make you feel better and in the long run might prove quite useful.

I would also try to think about how to use your playground - even if it is just sending groups out with your Nursery Nurse.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Our ratio does sound about the same 3 teachers 3 nursery nurses and a special needs assistant.  i think you may be right, it would need more setting up though wouldnt it to use the playground and they wouldnt like that, like the other things i try to implement.  Maybe i will tackle the playground issue again with them.  Or put it to the co-ordinator to see if i can get her onside.

42565[/snapback]

You are sounding really down :o - I feel for you in this difficult situation. I know exactly what its like trying to implement change when 'it's always been done like this', but, although and NQT, YOU ARE IN CHARGE, & have to decide what's best for the children - which you already know. So what if it means a bit more setting up? Surely all your staff should have the children's interests at heart anyway. Is there any way that some of the setting up could be saved until the member of staff actually takes the children outside, then the children could help with getting equipment out? If not, something has to give. The priority surely must be to get these kids out more, so perhaps a member of staff needs to prioritise this job over another (which YOU can decide if you want to.)

Keep your chin up - I know it's hard, but you don't want your feelings showing through to the children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)