Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Coverage Of Elgs

Hi!

I am trying to develop a long-term plan for our reception classes (was non-existent before) and am beginning to worry that I'm not covering the ELGs as I should.

I began filling in the long-term plan using the ELGs from the focused activities we do throughout the year. However, I realised that I do not cover all ELGs through the focused activities - not explicitly anyway. For example: 'Interacting with others, negotiating plans and activities and taking turns in conversations' (CLL, langauge for communication) I cover this mainly through my continuous provision. How does everyone else cover all ELGs? I realise that many are covered through routines and environment - that is the next job on my list! - but should all be covered by focused activities aswell?

I seem to be bombarding the forum with questions but everytime I sit down to plan all these worries crop up and I end up panicing!

Thank you

Green Hippo

I began filling in the long-term plan using the ELGs from the focused activities we do throughout the year. However, I realised that I do not cover all ELGs through the focused activities - not explicitly anyway. For example: 'Interacting with others, negotiating plans and activities and taking turns in conversations' (CLL, langauge for communication) I cover this mainly through my continuous provision. How does everyone else cover all ELGs? I realise that many are covered through routines and environment - that is the next job on my list! - but should all be covered by focused activities aswell?

42368[/snapback]

Green Hippo, this is not an elg it is a profile statement! Many elgs will be covered through continuous provision, but it is a good idea to try and plan specifically for each a well.

Green Hippo, this is not an elg it is a profile statement! Many elgs will be covered through continuous provision, but it is a good idea to try and plan specifically for each a well.

42405[/snapback]

Correct me if I am wrong but according to my copy of the Curriculum guidance "interact with others, negotiating plans and activities and taking turns in converstaions" is an Early Learning Goal!

We plan for our elgs both through continuous provision and focussed activities. some get planned for in both, and some through either one or the other, and some through the opportunities we provide eg

dress and undress independently - PE

Select and use activities and resources independently - through classroom organisation, planned time for free choice

form good relationships with adults and peers, turn taking etc - opportunities for talking, sharing

To check coverage I have listed all elg's and next to each one have listed all the type of activities/opportunities we provide and plan for throughout the entire year. Am in the middle of doing this now so hopefully when I have finished I will be able to see if any elg's have not been covered. Hope this is of some help

Don't panic is my first piece of advice - I'm learning slowly to take that piece of advice myself!

First of all, don't water your curriculum down i.e. teach simply from the profile statements. Don't forget that it is an assessment tool and not a curriculum in itself. However, saying that, I am aware that we need to cover the profile statements in order for the children to achieve them!

What I do, and what I use, is something that I saw on a visit to a school in my area. My school improvement officer took me along with a group to see a school that was shining in its Early Years department! What they had done, is as a team, devised learning intentions that had broken down the ELGs for all 6 areas of learning. It means that they work towards these learning intentions throughout the year and monitor which they've done and which they haven't thus ensuring they had covered them.

They also had, as am sure you'll find on the forum, ELGs listed that are covered in the continuous areas of provision - or simply in the classroom on a general basis, therefore providing evidence of ELGs being covered that are not necessarily planned for specifically.

I'm finding this to be a usefull way of doing things. It means that as a team you'll need to set out what your learning intentions are for each of the six areas of learning, with links to the profile statements to ensure that at some point you will be focusing on them.

I've found this easier to do - hope this helps!

x

Hi Green Hippo

I do much the same as written above. As a team we have worked out all the ELGs covered thr' The Environment and the Daily Routines, the left over ones have then been put into our topics BUT many ELGs are covered several times - in all three ways.

To ensure coverage I use an A4 sheet with all the ELGs listed for the current topic, that is stuck on the wall in the classroom - a simple thing that we have just started to do, but seems to be working well as you always have in mind the ELGs you are focussing on and then I tick them off or highlight them towards the end of the term IF I think they have been covered. We do not do this for the ELGs covered thr' our Environment or Routines (although some of these are in the topic work) because these are covered continually and constantly.

Am posting my coverage sheets so far.

Coverage_Term_1.doc

Coverage_Term_2.doc

Thank you all for your advice. Can now go back to my long-term plan with some reassurance that I'm on the right lines and some ideas of how to make it better. I do tend to use learning intention based on the ELGs not the profile statements - very much see the profile as an assessment tool.

Thanks Green Hippo

LONG_TERM_PLANNER_5766.docHi Green Hippo

I felt the same as you and tried to do a longterm/medium term plan. So far we have done it for half a term and the rest of the staff and I find it helpful and it has focussed us. I split the ELGs into stepping stones in the weekly plans and the activities/experience changes, depending upon the children's interests but our ELGs and objectives tend to stay the same. The Early Years advisor was happy and said it was good. I'll try to attach it, in case it helps you.

Ruthanne

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)