Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cvc Words

Hi

Has anyone got any good hands on advice on how to teach cvc words. I work with a child with speech and language difficulties. He's a year one but working at reception level.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreiciated.

Mand

You need to do lots of work on sound discrimination - the initial and final are the easiest to hear. Lots of alliterative games and sorting by initial sound, plus rhyming activities. You might find some nice activities in Playing with Sounds too - the supplement to PIPs mentioned by liza. Using phoneme frames or sound buttons is brilliant for writing. You can colour code them too for visual learners (green for initial consonant, yellow for medial vowel and red for final consonant). Also, speaking "like a robot" is good for getting the children to put sounds together.

I have a macthing cvc game, that can be printed out and laminated and used to help with sounding out the cvc's.

PM me if you'd like a copy as i'm not sure how to post a file here!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)