Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pe

I am after some inspiration. I am due to have a lesson odservation by my head, and I am doing a PE lesson. She is focusing on behaviour management, and I was thinking of doing something using benches and mats. I wondered if anyone has any interesting ideas that minght make it a bit more exciting!!

Thanks

Hi not sure if this is the type of thing you want to use, but what about making some red and green signs for the children, when you hold them up they have to stop or go accordingly. Picks up on the behavioural side of listening following instructions etc.

If you have the mats and benches maybe they could hop across mats etc to make it that bit harder when you ask then to freeze?

You could make it a CLL story telling / listening theme, by telling a story about a little boy / girl who goes for a walk and ends up lost. The benches are snakes / logs, the mats are water - when you say either they have to jump / swim across them. You can then add other ideas like they stop to have a rest (curl into a ball); a lion suddenly appears (roar and run); they approach a bridge (travel along the bench) etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Kelly

Hi not sure if this is the type of thing you want to use, but what about making some red and green signs for the children, when you hold them up they have to stop or go accordingly. Picks up on the behavioural side of listening following instructions etc.

If you have the mats and benches maybe they could hop across mats etc to make it that bit harder when you ask then to freeze?

42281[/snapback]

OR... instead of (or as well) needing to look to know what to do, the children could need to listen: you could use 2 different instruments, maybe a chime bar for stop, & a tambourine for go.

I always shake a tambourine to mean STOP! and get down off any apparatus safely.

As a form of behaviour management, I use a tambourine every lesson. I shake it and every time I do, the children are to wiggle! They love it. We start off the lesson by talking about our magic tambourine, to get them in the mood! It's great because we 'wait' for the tambourine to shake and sometimes it takes that little bit longer - so when it does, the children are excited, but at the same time wiggling!

It means that no matter what wierd and wonderful stuff we do for PE, there is always a constant form of behaviour management tool there - because they always respond to the shaking tambourine. We then extend it to different actions for a beat etc later in the year, but as a Reception class, they respond well to it. They often don't realise that they are actually doing it - it becomes second nature.

So, if you are being observed for how well you manage behaviour, maybe something like having a regular tool for stopping the children, whether it is for safety or for getting them to stop to listen to an instruction, is better than simply trying to do something different each week. It works well for me!

x

Don't forget that behaviour management is not just stopping and starting! It's everything from moving the children between class and hall, getting them changed and following specific PE rules (no talking? rules for how many people on apparatus at a time? what to do when they are not on apparatus - do they have to wait in a queue or must they be active all the time?) etc etc.

In my humble experience the children behave best when they are NOT waiting around in queues but are actively involved throughout the lesson.

Hope all goes well

Fox xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)