Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number Boxes

I have just got back from an expensive trip to Staples (aren't they always???!!!). Anyway, have bought a selection of coloured 3L boxes that I'm hoping to set up as 'number boxes'. The children are becoming really independent and good at using the equipment, so I wanted to make up some boxes of stuff that I use for carpet inputs i.e. the resources so they can start becoming independent with them.

I've also thought of doing some specific number boxes i.e. 5 and sticking in things that relate to the number 5 etc. Am sure you understand!!!

Was wondering if you have any inspriational ideas - I can stick the usual stuff in, but was hoping for something a little more interesting!

Hope you can help - I'm being observed soon in numeracy so it would be great if this is something I've got set up rather than introducing at the time of the obs!!!

Thanks in advance!

x

I think you are thinking along the lines of numbers rhymes, sets of 5 relating to number rhymes - that kind of thing?

It sounds like a lovely idea, one which I would be keen to develop as well, so am keen to hear of any new ideas...

Not really number boxes, but I went on a numeracy course recently, where they suggested having carpet sessions about specific numbers where you brainstormed relevant things for a number, so for 3 we has 3 bears, 3 little pigs, children who had 3 as a door number, 3 as a number of siblings, etc etc

Could link quite nicely with number boxes....

i use a similar thing with buckets and have so far make them for number rhymes such as 5 little speckled frogs, 5 fat sausages, 10 litttle monkeys. i include numbers to 5 or 10, the animals realted and a copy of the rhymes and any games i find related to them. i do the same for literacy. very simliar to the story sacks.

Hi Gater et al, I have number boxes in nursery for different rhymes, 5 Little Ducks, Frogs, etc

Also have boxes within boxes and bags within bags with 2, 3 4 and 5 items in. Children tip everything out (of course) but at end of session have to sort items back, eg 2 buttons in one box, 2 fir cones in another, 2 socks, etc etc. Then back into big box.Where we find some of these items at the end of the session is another story. One day I will get round to labelling boxes beautifully.

Barb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)