Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! One last observation of the year!

I am in need of some help and advice. I am getting observed by my head and maths co-ordinator on Monday and they would like to see Maths with a focus on extending the HA and progress seen in the 30 minutes. I have a class of Reception children and a possibility of 3 objectives.

Either 'Using everyday language to talk about size...LA/MA using non-standard measurements and HA using standard measurements.' Maybe starting the input with counting forwards/backwards to get their maths hats on or something similar. Then linking measuring to Jack and the Beanstalk?? Any ideas of a context? The children have to measure some plants and record their results and then apply their knowledge by the HA designing and building their own beanstalk making sure it reaches a certain height.

Or maybe doing something on money? Recognising coins and beginning to add coins together?

Or lastly something teaching the children about using mathematical terms to describe 3d shapes. Some of them are already quite good at this but I could extend with more shapes?

I really want to show them what I can do and how fab the children are and I would appreciate any help or advice you have :).

Edited by Guest

I like your first idea- could you get a TA or some one to either dress up as Jack or to deliver a letter with a maths problem to solve about length- his beanstalk is too short ... he's measured it with an irregular unit i.e. sea shell and its not tall enough to reach the giants castle! If it's too tall it'll fall over... Why is it not right he followed the plan/instructions??

Get them to solve why his measuring with an irregular unit didn't work (comparing regular and irregular nonstandard units)- set up MA and LA activities- such as measuring the beanstalks and finding which one with a regular non standard unit is the closest, or making newspaper beanstalks, or leaves of a certain length, or painting a beanstalk that measures x amount of cubes on challenge cards.

Keep the more able and get them to investigate the problem but using cm- challenging them to follow Jacks intricate instructions but substituting cm? Using construction materials inside or outside - your challenge to them could even be more complex and get them to build the giants castle with construction materials using lots of measurements- width, depth etc.

Good luck x

Wow thank you for your quick reply. I really like the idea of Jack measuring with an irregular unit. So would the HA have a challenge card saying that the beanstalk needed to be for example 54cm tall and I could have a variety of resources available (tape measure, meter stick, rulers) and the children have to work together to build a beanstalk of that height, maybe with the bricks, and measure it using their chosen measurement?

That sounds good - but I'd be ready with an extension card or two to make it ..cm wide etc. How about getting them to use their critical thinking skills and select their resources from a range on offer- then they are eliminating and evaluating as they go along.

Good luck! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)