Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'World Cup' themed Maths Observation

Guest teampink

Guest teampink

Hello Everyone,

Please could I have some of your kind suggestions and advice please?

I am being observed later in the week for a new position as EYFS lead and have been asked to prepare a maths lesson for a group of 20 reception children. My thoughts have been to base it around the world cup theme - I might play a game to find out how many goals children can score in one minute using ping pong balls and straws. I thought then we could position the scores in order followed by questioning the HA by asking them 'how many more goals did X score than Y?' Do you think this provides enough challenge?

Also following the input i was thinking of sending the TA outside to repeat a similar activity but with footballs and nets whilst I stayed inside continuing the carpet session and supporting continuous provision (which will be linked to the world cup theme).

All ideas/suggestions are much appreciated!! I really want to make an impact and I need to be seen to be stretching the HA.

Many Thanks :D

Guest teampink

The main objective at this point of the year is the elg - chn count reliably with numbers from one to 20, place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number. Using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer. They solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing.

Hi

I really like your ideas- how about doing it as an estimating activity? Getting them to estimate how many goals they can get in 1 min? How many star jumps some one can do in a min, how many beads they can hold in their hand. Then getting them to record the amount on paper, whiteboard, clipboard using numerals first and then recording how many they actually got - comparing the quantities and reasoning about the amount. This can be differentiated and HA can be challenged to reason about numbers, and the LA can look at sensible estimates, lower numbers.

I did a similar lesson this week but the focus was estimation- using tally marks to count/record and reasoning about which number was closest.

Good luck x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)